imprinted concrete sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience of stripping/removing imprinted concrete sealer? If so can you give any advice.

Sponsored Links
I have had problems with the sealer becoming discoloured due to picking up release agent during instalation & phosforesence which has led to the sealer coming off completely in patches when pressure washed. Have been told that completely stripping & re-sealing is the only real cure for the problem & would like to know if it is possible & what is involved.

Sponsored Links
I have had problems with the sealer becoming discoloured due to picking up release agent during instalation & phosforesence which has led to the sealer coming off completely in patches when pressure washed. Have been told that completely stripping & re-sealing is the only real cure for the problem & would like to know if it is possible & what is involved.

Hi there. If the sealer is acrylic based use Xynol thinners to remedy. Apply a liberal coating of thinners to the whole area. This should chemically react with the sealer bringing it back to it's liquid form. After 30 mins or so re-seal the drive with acrylic sealer. Hey presto. Job done.

i hope this is of help to you. It should work. Please let me know how you get on. Kind regards
Steve

Hi
I 've just come accross your posting. Did the advice you recieved work?. I have the same problem with my drive. If it was successful where can I get the thinners from.
Thanks amole2006

Hi
I 've just come accross your posting. Did the advice you recieved work?. I have the same problem with my drive. If it was successful where can I get the thinners from.
Thanks amole2006
Hi there.
I have personally used this method so i know it works....that said to varying degrees depending on the state of deterioration of the exsisting sealer. Nevertheless you will see a marked improvement. You may need to repeat the process with the thinners more than once. Xynol thinners can be found at most body repair paint shops. 25ltr drum is around £40. The surface to be treated should be thoroughly clean and free from dust. A dry day is essential. If the sealer gets damp before it has dried it will bloom (go white) Application with a natural bristle (coconut bristle) sweeping brush is the quickest and most effective method. You will find one of these in most DIY stores or screwfix direct for around £10.
If you are unsure do a patch test in a descreet area and see how it goes.
Please let me know how you get on and if my advice has been worthwhile.
Good luck and kind regards
W1000

Hi,
thats music to my ears, The way the weather is up here just now (Newcastle)
I'll probably have to wait till spring to do the work.
Thanx for the quick reply I'll let you know how I got on.
Regards Alan

Hi,
thats music to my ears, The way the weather is up here just now (Newcastle)
I'll probably have to wait till spring to do the work.
Thanx for the quick reply I'll let you know how I got on.
Regards Alan
No worries Alan. Probably a wise move to wait till spring. It's just too damn cold and wet. Good old Blighty!!

@lenjee You should start a new thread as this one is 13 years old and some people may not bother looking at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back