Improving CH HW controls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need some advice please - I'm looking at swapping my boiler soon and would also like to improve the control we have too.

Currently have a Baxi Solo 2 50 RS, being controlled by a Randall 103, both in the same room downstairs and I have no thermostat but have them on most rads. The boiler is on its last legs, so looking to replace it.

When we update the boiler (or before) I would like to gain control of my HW independently from the CH, currently both come on and there isn't a way to separate this on the 103.

I've been looking into it and think I need a motorised valve control adding to my system to do this, pretty sure I don't have one! My HW water tank and pump are in the airing cupboard upstairs, I can see the wire from the pump disappearing into the floor, the wires for the 103e7 are in the wall.

When I add the new controls, I would be looking for some 'smart' type options to control when away from home etc - I've been looking at the Hive for this but would consider others.

How big of a job would this be? As well as the valve fitting, is there anything else I would need to consider?

Would I need to run all wires back to the 103 location (downstairs) for the new controller, or would it be easier to run the new system from the airing cupboard?

Anyone recommend me some controllers/valves etc to do this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There must be a thermostat on the HW tank controlling a 2 or 3 port valve?

Nest is a good easy controller to use.

Regards

Can't see one anywhere :confused: I've got pics of pipes from airing cupboard and I'm going to attempt to draw up everything I can see this evening, try and make sense of it all.

The 103 has no HW or CH only controls, so I can only imagine I never had motored 2/3 port valve.

You most probably have gravity hot water and pumped central heating, easy enough upgrade when have new boiler (you would have to upgrade in any case as gravity hot water is not allowed when replacing boilers)

Sponsored Links
You most probably have gravity hot water and pumped central heating, easy enough upgrade when have new boiler (you would have to upgrade in any case as gravity hot water is not allowed when replacing boilers)

Thanks - the pump is in the airing cupboard, the pipe leaving it splits off into two - one goes to the HW tank?

I think I do have some gravity fed system left over, there are two tanks above everything in the airing cupboard (although I think 1 of these is for the shower pump)

A pic of the airing cupboard would be helpful, so we can see the pipe layout.

I've got some pics and a video of the airing cupboard, but have also done a diagram of the system which represents most of the pipes.

I've seen danfoss do some cheap kits with the valve, thermostat and controller etc.

Assuming the system is ready to go with one of these kits, I'm wondering how/where I'm going to control/power it all.

Attachments

• plumbing-upstairs.png
    plumbing-upstairs.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 211
After checking my diagram, I've realised my pump is installed on the return from the tank. I've double checked this and the flow of the pump is going downwards away from the rest of the airing cupboard. I have no idea what that is doing?

So if I get a new boiler, I'll need to go fully pumped?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll start getting quotes with the new boiler and just get this done all at once.

Last question, would anyone know why the pump is where it is? I can't understand why it's part of the return from the cylinder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back