Improving soil before seeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone recommend some pre seeding fertilizer? My soil is pretty good quality, is it really necessary to use fertilizer? Could i just fork some compost into the soil, then rake flat?

Sponsored Links
I'm no garden expert but I'd say it's not needed, but you might get better results if you do. Personally I do myself, spread a bag of compost around and fork it in, I even put some volcanic rock dust in this year, suppose to be good stuff, I'll find out soon.

Yea I just want to help the roots as much as possible. Cant see it doing any harm.

Your better off putting on a fertilizer once its ready for its first cut in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Depends what you're growing.. but a really good general fertilizer is chicken poop pellets (and cheaper than big bags of compost). Plants love em, even tho they are a little smelly for a few days. Need to be down a week or two before you put the seedlings in, but you can rake them in on the top of the soil when the seedlings get a bit bigger. If you do go for them, shop around as the price differs hugely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back