Lawn seeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to throw seed down on my lawn which I dug up. The soil is pretty good. Must I use a fertiliser before seeding?

Sponsored Links
its up to you. It would certainly help.

To be honest its a little late to be seeding. go nuts but it may not germinate if the weather turns cold.

I sowed a lawn last weekend with just soil dug and raked. Its taken fine and growing fast.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should have glyphosated or put down fabric to kill weeds and grass. You risk weed grasses growing back.

Now is fine for seeding in the south anyway. I sowed two weeks ago, it is growing nicely. I sowed an area last year in Oct. it was fine. No need for fertiliser, feed in spring.

Ideally you should have glyphosated or put down fabric to kill weeds and grass. You risk weed grasses growing back.

Now is fine for seeding in the south anyway. I sowed two weeks ago, it is growing nicely. I sowed an area last year in Oct. it was fine. No need for fertiliser, feed in spring.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you entirely but the OP has dug up their old lawn and is seeding a new one. Are you suggesting spraying glyphosate on bare soil and/or laying a new lawn on weed membrane?

fertiliser will burn your seeds unless you fertilise then wait 2-3 weeks before seeding. little point really as grass will grow in nearly any soil.

as my loverly friend ceres was saying-glyphosate is something you spray on the foliage of plants and will have no effect on anything if you spray on the ground as its supposed to neutralise upon contact with soil. might kill a few worms but thats not good is it.

you can buy organic fertilizers which you can spread at the same time as seeding.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you entirely but the OP has dug up their old lawn and is seeding a new one. Are you suggesting spraying glyphosate on bare soil and/or laying a new lawn on weed membrane?

No, spraying glyphosate on soil does nothing. It is best to make sure the weeds are dead before digging and seeding, and you do that by spraying or excluding light. Otherwise couch grass, bindweed etc will regrow. Even though I sprayed, I had Bird's Foot Trefoil bounce back, so I sprayed again.

I made the mistake of simply digging the weed patch at the bottom of my garden, and weed grasses came up after I sowed grass seed. So I have sprayed, and will reseed that area in the spring once all weed grasses are dead. They are a devil as broad leaf weedkillers do not touch them.

No, spraying glyphosate on soil does nothing.

Yes, I know this but given that the OP has already dug up the old lawn, there is nothing to spray so what's the point of telling them to spray?

Don't have a go at me when you ask me a question and I give the answer.

I did not tell them to spray. I said ideally they should have sprayed before digging, because they will not have killed weeds and weed grasses. When I did this at the bottom of my garden, I had to kill the grass, and start again because it was infested with weed grasses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back