In Case Of Emergency- ICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
It's a nice idea, but if I can be cynical (moi?) then may I point out 2 problems with this scheme:

1) You have your phone nicked/lost, and chav-scum-oik picks it up. Thinks it would be funny to ring "ICE", pretend to be a policeman and tell your mum/wife that you're dead. Hmmm...

2) You lose your phone. Kind soul picks it up, and on the way to hand it in at the police station is knocked down by a bus. With no other ID, they ring "ICE" and tell your mum/wife that you are dead/injured. Even though it isn't you.

As for whether it would have helped on Thursday, there are plenty of recovered mobiles with no recovered owners. And seeing as experience shows many phones can't withstand an accidental fall from a desk or a splash of water, not sure they would be much good after a bomb blast and a fireman's hose. Sure, the SIM might survive but many phones save numbers on the phone memory.

When phones have biometric scanners built into them (2006? 2007?) then it would be more effective as they can scan your fingerprint and then ring ICE.

Except that people have had their fingers "stolen" by car thieves. Nasty business. :eek:

yeah because we always used to pick up trhe phone and tell someone their loved one has died!

Ah, but there will still be the issue of saying "We have an expired gentleman here, and would like you to come and identify the body"

Sponsored Links
Nah, most sensible people would not ring or expect to be rung with 'Sorry to inform you but.....'.
It could be a useful avenue in tracing a person merely saving a little time, if the phone is useable, I am sure a cross ref with some numbers held would yield a possible ID.
:D

slight problem.
I'm a member if the Institute of Civil Engineers and have ICE stored in the phone already.
1 great George street prob wouldnt care that i'd been hit by a bus... although their members fees wouldnt get paid this year!!1 :p

Back