In-line scale inhibitor

I don't believe the magnetic scale reducers work either.
However the manufacturers generally claim them to be water conditioners (or words to that effect) and say that the magnetism affects the impurities dissolved in the water is such a way they will not stick to the internal surfaces of pipes etc. once the water is released to atmosphere it will revert back to its original condition so testing it may be dificult.

Sponsored Links
I've heard this theory from scale reducer manufacturers as well. "The electromagnetic field disturbs the calcium molecules so that although the calcium still exists, it does not stick to metal".
I have worked in electronics R&D labs for more years than I care to put on my CV, and done a lot of work with coils, their inductance at various frequencies, their magnetic fields, EMC testing and so on. I suppose the idea that the scale reducer manufacturers would like to con you into believing is that rattling the chalk molecules at 50Hz is going to make them dizzy so they don't know that they were supposed to stick to copper or steel or aluminium any more. It has to be at 50Hz because there is no active electronics in them to make them work at any other frequency. The theory that "once the water is released to atmosphere it will revert back to its original condition so testing it may be dificult" shows their lack of knowledge of an open vented heating system. Exactly what do they think is in the tanks in the loft then? An army of fairies defending the "scale-reduced" water from the ravages of the atmosphere?
Sounds like another salesman's boiled tripe to me, like Dyson's false statement on his TV adverts. "Never ever loses suction". What a load of old toss. If they never ever lose suction, how come I find loads of his products at the tip (sorry, that should read 'recycling center') every time I go there. There they are resplendent in their multi-coloured glory, not sucking. And that's not because they are no longer plugged into a 230v supply, either. They are broke. They don't suck any more.
I know a few things about how Sinclair started his fortune-making business that most people don't. In my opinion, caveat caveat, he should be in jail instead of kneeling in front of the Queen, caveat caveat (cos he's richer than me!). In about 1966/67 he bought scrap transistors from Plessey in Swindon (fact) and sold them to budding electronics constructors having convinced them that they could make a working ten transistor amplifier. They didn't work. Fact. Still, he's rich and I'm not. So who won then?

I used to work for one of the larger European magnet manufacturers whose customers were mainly aerospace, automotive and mobile phone producers.

We also had a trading arm that used to buy cheap Chinese ferrite and sell it to these type of operations. A few pieces of ferrite won't cost more than about 20- 30 p , so since these devices cost 50 pnds upwards ( permanent magnet types) and the only other cost is a simple plastic-housing, you can see that we are already in con-merchant territory from the profit-margin.

There is literature available that shows this technology can work BUT only in commercial operations where the water is recycled and the water is subject to magnetic influence over a considerable distance in the pipe.

The reason/explanation I was given for this is that the electrons in the water are aligned by the magnetic flux and this allows the salts to separate out and settle on the bottom of the pipe/container where ( in an industrial-sized operation) they can be removed periodically.

In domestic circumstances the electrons will also be aligned, but as soon as they pass out of the field ( couple of inches ? ) they will flip back to their natural alignment and remain in suspension until heated and then deposit themselves on a handy, nearby metal surface

Sponsored Links
Dear All...
If anyone can PROVE via the "simple test" that I described in an earlier post that their device works, then I'll concede that there is an alternative to the ion exchange (or alternately the hexametaphosphate) method of altering hard water properties. Until then, "hokum" is the word we use to describe these "BS" ways to separate people from their hard earned money...
I had to respond again because my drinking buddies are just having a great laugh about these obvious scams, plus we are thinking about new ways to get in on it (we are Capitalists after all!!!)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back