Inline scale inhibitors - Any use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised that the online scale inhibitors are of no use. I live in an area of rather hard water and I am using a thermal store, for which the manufacturers insist on having a scale inhibitor.

The one I am thinking of is the ScaleMaster inline electrolytic Gold model

Are they worth it or is there a better alternative?

Sponsored Links
Use plenty of Inhiobitor in the static water in the thermal store. They very very very often have rust problems.
Ignore the magnetic/electric scale protection devices with a TS. No consistent good redults. COmbimate is fine, but you have to leep the thing full of polyphosphate.

If you have a few simple valves in the right places on your TS coil, it's very easy to descale when it needs it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I am inclined to use the combimate but I hope it is true that their 15mm pipes do not affect the flow because it looks like it is installed inline and the thermal store people insist that the mains supply pipe is 22mm. I seem to have good flow from the mains, though.

Any experience on the flow with the 15mm pipes? and why don't they just make a 22mm version? it would save the trouble of adding reducers.

If you have a 15 mm restriction then you may find the HW flow rate is reduced.

You should be able to get a 22 mm polyphosphate but may have to contact Combimate to get details.

In the launderettte industry they have found that the permanent magnet water conditioners are useful for this purpose and they are available in 22 mm and dont need any maintenance and properly sourced they are far cheaper than the polyphosphate types which also have a high running cost as the product is expensive.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back