in need of advice on astra 1.4 swing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a vauxhall astra swing m reg 1.4 it was fine the other day and today it was difficult to start and when it did the engine seems to lack power and splutter but does not backfire. when going uphill it struggles and then all off a sudden the power will kick in any ideas?

Sponsored Links
could be the cat starting to break down, is there any signs of a material looks a like like hair coming out of the exhuast? this will cause the sudden lack of power then it kicking back in, its the hair like material which is bloking your exhaust pipe.

I had a similar problem. It turned out that one of the HT leads needed cleaning. It was sparking on to the engine block causing the engine to misfire. Try cleaning all your HT leads first :D

I had a similar problem. It turned out that one of the HT leads needed cleaning. It was sparking on to the engine block causing the engine to misfire. Try cleaning all your HT leads first :D
tried your suggestion and i received an electric shock and jumped out in the road getting then run over by a bus cheers

Sponsored Links
I would hazard a guess that the leads are breaking down, maybe better to replace. On modern cars its not advisable to handle anything related to the HT circuit with the engine running, good job you were not fitted with a pacemaker!!! :eek:

The engine electrics in your car are prone to a number of faults. The air flow meter and EGR valves are always going. Do you have engine management light on? If you do then get a code reader on it and it will point to the fault.
The engine itself is good but the electrics let it down big time. Crank and cam sensors, idle air valves and the plugs/coils are also an option.

One quick check is for an air leak. Get a can of carb clean, brake clean or easy start or anything that burns well. Start the engine and spray small squirts around the back of the engine and listen for the revs lifting. If it does you have a leak. Keep going(smaller squirts in more direct areas) till you find the leak then replace/repair as required.
I drive an 1800 vectra myself so I know your pain :confused:

Lets us know how you get on.

Jim
And after re-reading your post I see its an m reg and not a w. Should have gone to specsavers.
Check your plugs/coil/ cap and arm( if fitted) still check for air leak around throttle body. fire some injector cleaner through it.

Back