In which order should I balance my radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's an apparently stupid question, but I'm planning on balancing the rads in my central heating system, and I want to be sure I balance them in the correct order. We have a Worcester Greenstar gas condensing boiler fitted in our ground floor kitchen. The kitchen has 2 rads in it. The lounge/diner next to the kitchen has 3 rads in it. Also off the kitchen is the hallway, with 1 rad, and a cloakroom with 1 rad. Upstairs are 4 bedrooms, a bathroom and an en-suite - each with 1 rad in.

I'm probably overthinking this, and should just start with the ground floor, and guess the relative distances of the rads from the boiler, and then move upstairs. But then I think "Hang on, the rad in the first floor room above the boiler is possibly (maybe even 'probably') closer to the boiler than the kitchen rads, so should I start there?"

Is there a correct order in which to balance the rads? How critical is the distance of each rad from the boiler?

Sponsored Links
1. Ideally, start with the furthest radiator from the boiler and work back towards the boiler.
2. Furthest doesn't necessarily mean the shortest distance, but means the longest pipe run. It will be the radiator who's flow pipe heats up last of all the radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back