Inaccurate thermostat replacement recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideal vogue boiler which has a ideal RF wireless PRT3 thermostat. It is shockingly inaccurate, it is at least 3 degrees out and doesn't display the room temperature correctly!

Can anyone recommend an accurate wireless thermostat preferably one that can be controlled via an app not interested in Alexa or Google etc

Sponsored Links
Try the hive mini.
I accept no responsibility if you’re not happy with it!
My customers love it.
Don’t put it on a windowsill or above any heat source.
Or in direct sunlight.
Avoid draughts too!

EPH Combi pack 4 gets good mentions - haven’t tried it myself

Honeywell T6 is good, and OpenTherm too which will go nicely with your OpenTherm boiler

Sponsored Links
Get an ideal Halo RF or better still an Ideal Halo Wi-Fi, so your heating can also be controlled via your phone. It will also modulate your boiler. I have a set of four matching Wi-Fi thermometers that are all within 0.1C of each other. Compared with the Halo the Halo reads no higher than 0.3C above the other thermometers and sometimes the same when all are lined up side by side but the Halo can have an offset applied.
Checkout YouTube installation instructions as it is plug and play for the Vouge.

One thing I have noticed by attaching a Wi-Fi thermostat to the Halo is the temperature difference between my seating position and the wall mount. It can be close to 1C.

Think twice about getting a Hive, as it is just a fancy on/off device that can’t modulate any boiler.

Last edited:
Ideal vogue boiler which has a ideal RF wireless PRT3 thermostat. It is shockingly inaccurate, it is at least 3 degrees out and doesn't display the room temperature correctly!

Can anyone recommend an accurate wireless thermostat preferably one that can be controlled via an app not interested in Alexa or Google etc

Not to dismiss your disatisfaction but what are you using as a reference to determine the 3 degree error, is it itself wrong? Obviously comfort is important but most digital thermostats have an option of re calibration so the temperature is realigned with you expectations.

Not to dismiss your disatisfaction but what are you using as a reference to determine the 3 degree error, is it itself wrong? Obviously comfort is important but most digital thermostats have an option of re calibration so the temperature is realigned with you expectations.

So let's say the room temp is 18c and I set the thermostat to 18.4 the heating won't come on unless I set it to 18.8c

I've also noticed when the heating is on the heating goes off before reaching the desired temp by at least 3c

So let's say the room temp is 18c and I set the thermostat to 18.4 the heating won't come on unless I set it to 18.8c

In this example, what are you using to measure the room temperature as 18C? Is that what the thermostat itself is reading, or is that the reading from another thermometer?

In this example, what are you using to measure the room temperature as 18C? Is that what the thermostat itself is reading, or is that the reading from another thermometer?

The temperature on the thermostat itself

Does it display the room temperature in 0.1C increments? So would it be showing 18.0C in this example?

I used to buy old style thermostats with 1,2,3,4,5,6 graduations instead of temperature because customers would drag an old 50p greenhouse thermometer into the house to compare temperatures then say a thermostat costing dozens of times more was wrong.

What you're doing is letting the thermostat judge itself and the verdict is guilty.

May I suggest trying to forget (I know it will be difficult) the temperature displayed and simply turn it up until you're comfortable whether with your existing thermostat or a new one; your body is the better representation of comfort than a number on a dial.

Also the options above are good and for close temperature control of room and boiler use OpenTherm ot ON/OFF

I've also noticed when the heating is on the heating goes off before reaching the desired temp by at least 3c
That’s a very poor way to assess the stat , the boiler may cut out if the boiler temp is reached regardless of what the stat is set to .Doesn’t mean the hot water is not still being circulated by the pump .

No it's in 2 degree increments

0.2 degree increments, I guess, i.e. 18.0, 18.2 etc?

Following on from the post by foxhole just above, it would seem important to work out whether the boiler is going off because the thermostat is telling it to, or because the boiler has reached its set flow temperature. Most digital thermostats will have an icon on the display which shows if the thermostat is calling for heat from the boiler. If yours has such an icon, you should be able to work out which of these two situations is happening.

Maybe it is me but that second sentence makes no sense. The way it reads is that if you set the temperature to 20C it switches off at 17C but then you also say it also won’t switch on until 18.8C is reached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back