Replacing Potterton Miniminder programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Have a Vailant Combi in the loft, wired to a Potterton Miniminder ES timer and unbranded thermostat BOTH in the cupboard under the stairs.

Want to replace both with a wireless thermostat and/or timer as currently the heating matches the temperature of the cupboard, which is not ideal :)

Done some reading, and it appears replacing the timer is trivial as many models fit the standard backplate.

The question is:

Do I buy a replacement timer and also a RF thermostat or is an RF thermostat/programmer is the way to go ?
If I buy a new timer, and an RF thermostat, is it likely I can just wire in the RF sender to the existing wiring for the current hardwired thermostat?
If I buy a wireless thermostat/timer (combined) how easy is the sender to wire to the existing Potterton backplate ?
Am I missing anything ?

Comfortable with basic wiring, was more looking for recommendations for best/easiest/most cost effective solution.

Note, due to recently plastered walls, has to be wireless thermostat which I can stick in the relevant room.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
programmable rf stat is probably your best bet.

Ditch the Miniminder and unknown thermostat and get a decent branded wireless programmable thermostat (e.g Honeywell CM927). Not sure if the Miniminder backplate is compatible, so you may have to change that.

If you do this, the switched live from thermostat to boiler will have to be moved to the new stat, which may mean extending the wire.

Before you fix everything in place you should check that the transmitter (control unit) and receiver can communicate with each other from their proposed locations. To do this connect a long lead with a 3 pin plug on one end to the receiver and follow the manufacturers instructions for checking communication.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for tips, ordered Honeywell CM927.
Hopefully it'll be simply enough to install on existing backplate.

Fortune favours the brave.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back