inadequate electrics inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new flat recently, and was provided with an inspection certificate, which suggested everything was basically okay. When I started pulling out appliances to replace them, I realised that some of the kitchen wiring was fairly dodgy and should have been flagged up in the inspection. Do I have any recourse against the people who inspected it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The electrician can only visually check what he can see, unless you give him permission to remove fixings such as appliances / cupboards he cannot visually inspect everything.

I assume he carried out all tests required for a periodic inspection (or those you asked for )

If these readings fall within the tolerances laid out by the IEE then the installation is 'fit for purpose'.

did he make any reccomendations?

I personally would have made as much available for visual inspection as I could.

However if he has issued a certificate saying in his opinion the installation is safe, then his reputation and the liabilty rests with him.

If you are unsure about anything that you discover consult the expert again.

A few quid spent can save a fortune and lives later on

What type of inspection was carried out

There are visual inspection/condition report - which is what it says visual and IMO not worth the paper they're written on

Periodic Inspection Report which will be 6 pages long

But, there will be limitations on both - such as not lifting carpets & floorboards and possbly not removing appliances.

These will all take time and cost customer more.

Sponsored Links
The certificate (a periodic inspection report) was provided to the previous owners, then provided to me on purchase as comfort for the electrics. There were a couple of recommendations (fit an earthed light in the bathroom - the cables were exposed I think), and they did this before they sold it. Issues with the wiring that I found once I started pulling the kitchen apart (so couldn't find before I bought it) included things like about four of the kitchen sockets were spurs off a single socket on the ring main, and I think the socket for the cooker is not where it ought to be. Maybe these things that are allowed to pass inspections, but I'm not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back