Incomer & meter relocation - cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

We're in the process of buying a house and one of the first jobs we're planning is to knock through the kitchen wall into the adjoining bathroom to make a large kitchen/diner.

Problem is, the cutout & meter are on this wall (at high level, in the corner). Ideally we'd have them moved to the outside wall, a distance of less than 300mm in total. The incoming cable comes through this wall.

Any ideas how much this would cost? The cable wouldn't need extending, or rerouting.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your location and who your network operator is, it usually costs £500-£700 for a standard domestic service alteration (up to 6 meters cable length). You can usually apply and pay online via their website. Can take a few weeks to get the work done.

Maybe worth moving to an outside meter box also depending on the layout. If the service comes in at high level I guess it’s an overhead supply? You will need to extend your installation to the new service location. You should get a double pole isolator fitted also (usually).

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I think my local DNO is Northern Powergrid.

It's not an overhead line per se, it's daisy chained from house to house, so not your traditional overhead from poles; it disappears into the ground somewhere, but not at the property I'm intending to buy.

The CU is already on the outside wall, which would make moving the cutout less of a hassle (for me).

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back