Moving electric meter question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I was wondering if I could move my electric meter from one wall onto another?

Basically I want to open up my kitchen by knocking down a wall but the the meter and fuse board are inside a cupboard fixed onto this wall, It's quite high up and I have to get a set of steps out just to read the meter.

I'd like to relocate it 90 degrees and put it inside a new kitchen wall unit and fit a new fuse board above it (if there's room in the same wall unit)

As the pics show there is enough play in the incoming supply cable so is this something that could be carried out by an electrician or do I have to contact my supplier and pay loads of money and have the project held up for weeks maybe months?

View media item 83194 View media item 83195 View media item 83196
Grateful for any advice

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As the pics show there is enough play in the incoming supply cable so is this something that could be carried out by an electrician or do I have to contact my supplier and pay loads of money and have the project held up for weeks maybe months?
If I understand you correctly, it's not just the meter you want to be moved but also the supplier's (well, the DNO's) supply head. An electrician could not even move the meter, and most certainly not the supply head - so, if I understand correctly, I fear you are left only with the option that you do not want!

Kind Regards, John

Ok thanks, any idea how much this is likely to cost and how long it'd take?

Also would it be easier to have it moved externally so I'd only have to have the fuse board inside the kitchen unit?

Ok thanks, any idea how much this is likely to cost and how long it'd take?
I'm afraid I don't - but others here may well be able to help you.
Also would it be easier to have it moved externally so I'd only have to have the fuse board inside the kitchen unit?
That probably comes down to the cost issue again - and only the DNO could probably answer the question. I imagine that a lot probably depends on the present routing of the supply to your house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Only the DNO can relocate it, so contacting your supplier is the only choice.
The fact that the cable has slack in it makes no difference - the existing cable will not be reused, but cut outside and a new piece jointed in.

Not really sure why you want to relocate it into a kitchen unit - outside in a cabinet would be far better. They may not agree to relocation inside anyway.

Cost will vary, but a realistic price would be around £1000.
Timescales - the actual work would not take vary long, however it is likely to require arrangement several weeks or months in advance.

An electrician could not even move the meter, and most certainly not the supply head

Plenty of builders would though; take the meter board off the wall, leave it hanging on the live incomer, demolish around it then put it back somewhere else.

I am not recommending this course of action. Better to do it safely.

An electrician could not even move the meter, and most certainly not the supply head
Plenty of builders would though; take the meter board off the wall, leave it hanging on the live incomer, demolish around it then put it back somewhere else.
That might not be such a bad plan - would the builders then have to pay the DNO to make it safe (on whatever walls then existed)? :)

Kind Regards, John

If the consumer unit will fit on the space on the back board you could move the board and fit a wall unit frame around it.

Iam sure a builder would manage that.

Kind regards,

DS

Why do you have two consumer units? Do you have storage heaters? If so you should have a dual rate meter or you are paying lots of £££s to warm the storage heaters up. That meter is single rate.

Hi Steve

Long time no speak, hope you are doing OK matey.

That Wylex 804 IVY is actually off, so it may be old storage heaters that are redundant.

The older Wylex units had a narrow main switch that was up for off, the later ones had a wider rocker that was down for off.

secure spark is correct, the storage heaters are no longer in use as we got gas connected soon after we moved in and got central heating installed.

I don't want to relocate it into a kitchen unit but can't see how i have any other choice since it's already there.

My new consumer unit won't fit on the board as it's a 16 way dual rcd. I measured it and it will just fit neatly inside a 600mm wall unit on the wall next to the kitchen window.

So if someone was to knock the wall down and fix the meter back board to the adjacent wall, what way would be the best? Meter above or below the consumer unit? My old consumer unit has all the cables coming into it from the top so will that be the same for the new one?
I know it's side by side now but I don't really want to house it all inside a great big 1200mm wall unit.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone :)

So if someone was to knock the wall down and fix the meter back board to the adjacent wall, what way would be the best?
The best, and only, way would be with the DNO taking charge of disconnecting, moving, and reconnecting the supply cable, the cutout and the meter.

If a builder is such a dangerous, stupid idiot that he would take the meter board off the wall, leave it hanging on the live incomer, demolish around it then put it back somewhere else then either sack him, or make sure you are never in the house when he is working. And consider temporarily removing any items which you value, lest you come home to find that his cavalier attitude to safety has caused a fire or a structural failure.

If the second back board in in place and you have your electrician and joiner at the ready …..

Regards,

DS

Then what? You ask the electrician to put them selves at risk and to commit an offence for your benefit?

You will need the DNO to move the supply cable, the MOP to move the meter, and an electrician to move the CU.

pic3.jpg
What can happen when a cut out or the incomer short out.

Moving an old incoming cable can result in the insulation crumbling and the cable shorting out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back