Incoming mains cable - through doorframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently bought an old cottage and discovered a problem with the incoming electric mains cable.

The supply is overhead, tacked down the front wall and runs to the main fuse box just inside the house next to the front door.

The problem is that the cable doesn't run through a hole in the wall to the fuse box, instead it's been routed through the front doorframe.
(The house has solid stone/rubble walls around 18ins thick so maybe they didn't have a drill big enough when the supply was originally installed many decades ago).

It's causing a problem for me because we want to change the front door - from an inward opener to an outward opener (long story) and take a bit off the top of the doorframe to allow more headroom. (the max we can get is 6ft)

But we can't do any of that because the cable will get in the way.

There's a very easy fix to the problem - drill a hole through the wall next to the doorframe and route the cable through there - it wouldn't require any more cable or moving the fusebox.

From reading this and other forums I suspect Western Power Distribution will want to charge a hideous amount of money to do this.

Before I phone them up to ask, can anyone tell me
a - is routing the mains through the doorframe usual or unusual in older properties?
b - if unusual have we got a case to get them to do it for free because the cable was poorly routed when first installed?
c - is there an electricity ombudsman or somesuch which we could go to if WPD demand payment?
b - is there any other way round it? (don't worry, I'm not even contemplating touching it myself)

Appreciate any help

Andy

Sponsored Links
a. Not unusual.

b. see above. n/a.

c. Yes but you wont win.

d. No contact your Electricity supplier .

Hi
yes thinking of putting in new doorframe.
suspected i'd have to pay for moving cable - but thanks for taking time to reply and confirm
Andy

Sponsored Links
(The house has solid stone/rubble walls around 18ins thick so maybe they didn't have a drill big enough when the supply was originally installed many decades ago).

Those stone walls are normally loose filled. You drill a hole, withdraw the drill and stones fall down inside and fill up your hole. Great fun!

Those stone walls are normally loose filled. You drill a hole, withdraw the drill and stones fall down inside and fill up your hole. Great fun!

Drill through, leave the drill bit in the wall and take it out of the drill chuck, then push the bit back out of the wall from the other side using a plastic pipe of slightly smaller diameter than the bit (but bigger than the cable you want through it). Leave the pipe in situ and trim it to length to form a sleeve to protect the cable.

I wonder if, after taking out the old doorframe, you could cut a notch in the wall, or remove a bit of stone, to push the cable through, below the surface, then mortar in a bit of stone to cover it?

It sounds to me like a cable chase job, though a bit more awkward than most.

BTW the unfused supply cable should not be hidden or rendered over, it should be visible.

Doing what JohnD suggests would probably be your best bet. Cut the section of frame about 2-3" either side of where the cables pass through. Remove the rest of the frame and then CAREFULLY split the wood surrounding the incoming cables.
Then replace with new door frame ensuring cables are safely installed behind it but still visible from each side of the frame.

thanks for the other replies advice - much appreciated.
Had thought about chiselling a channel for the cable - may give it a go - but the doorway has a stone surround which i fear may crack...will have a think about it and maybe rethink the way the door opens. too!
Thanks again for your help
Andy

Once the old doorway is out of the way cut a groove in the stonework for the cables with a small angle grinder.

Good luck.

You can check the Western Power Distribution web site. They have a self-quotation form there. If I remember correctly for a new cutout, which you will need, if they do the job, they would charge you about £180.

I remember correctly for a new cutout, which you will need, if they do the job, they would charge you about £180.

Ha, in that case will definitely rethink the way the door opens!

Then cut a notch in the new door frame.

May not be the best thing to do but certainly the easiest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back