Inconsistent Radiator after New Boiler, New Rads & Powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About 4 weeks ago, I had a brand new Vaillant ecotec plus installed in my 2 bedroom single story flat. At the time, the installers did a powerflush and I also had brand new Stelrad rads put on. I noticed that all of the rads heat up, but the one in my main room bedroom gets lightning hot when the CH first fires up, but after a while suddenly cools down to luke warm to almost nothing. Then after a short time, it will start to get hot again. None of the other rads in the flat do this - all of them stay consistently hot. What I don't understand is that the return and flow pipes in my main bedroom with the bipolar rad (which is the only rad in that room) get and remain lightning hot to the touch, regardless of the rad is hot or not. When the dodgy radiator in my room is hot, the pipe with the TRV is very hot, and the pipe on the opposite lower side (not sure of the name) is either warm or not warm at all. But when the whole radiator cools down on its own, both pipes are just lukewarm even though the return & flow pipes in the room are both still lightning hot. Also, when the rad reheats, it's very hot on the top but cold on the bottom, and the pipe connected to the rad on the lower left side is cold.

What could be the problem? I doubt it's a sludge/buildup block as the rads are brand new and the system was flushed when the boiler was installed. Plus - the rad is capable of getting hot, just not staying hot. The other rads don't fluctuate like this, though I did notice that a couple of them are hotter at the top than bottom (they are still fairly warm at the bottom but not as hot as the top).

On a side note - I purchased the more modern Softline Silhouette rads. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw but they do NOT seem to radiate as much heat as traditional radiators - the backside of the rad, the one that faces the wall gets lightning hot but the font panel doesn't get nearly as hot - upon inspection, this appears just to be a modern panel essentially glommed onto the rad, so it doesn't have any water flow directly through it. There's a lost of wasted heat as the backside is too hot to touch, but not the front.

Sponsored Links
Please explain the meaning of 'lightning hot'....and 'glommed', but not until you've read the article entitled 'how to balance radiators'.

1. Turn all your TRVs to maximum.
2. Turn room thermostat to maximum setting.
3. Balance the system.
4. Return to DIYnot....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back