Incorrect statement amnesty

Sponsored Links
Racism is a prejudice against a race!

Its not always easy to define a race. As an example there is very little to differentiate between the sabra israeli jews and arabs without asking them questions.

Other "races" like American native "indians" and the eskimo have distinctive visually identifiable characteristics.

My comment "Or perhaps the Landlord has had bad experiences of a useless plumber? I would say thats only to be expected if he uses a cheap third world plumber rather than a member of the Institute."

I dont see any races being mentioned there!

If you do Softus then please could you name the race or races I have mentioned or referred to?

Tony

Sponsored Links
cdg said:
Splinter - why have you not spellt your own country correctly?

cos it's not there is it ,by the way the spelling of the country shown is correct :)

Agile said:
Racism is a prejudice against a race!
Er, no, actually - racial prejudice is prejudice against a race.

Its not always easy to define a race. As an example there is very little to differentiate between the sabra israeli jews and arabs without asking them questions.
Yeah, they all look the same don't they Agile. :rolleyes:

Other "races" like American native "indians" and the eskimo have distinctive visually identifiable characteristics.
That must make it very easy for you to determine which ones you don't like. For example, do you find Eskimos to be generally professional?

My comment "Or perhaps the Landlord has had bad experiences of a useless plumber? I would say thats only to be expected if he uses a cheap third world plumber rather than a member of the Institute."

I dont see any races being mentioned there!
Well, being a racist isn't something you pick up and put down, like you'd use a screwdriver. If someone is racist then it shows itself in many way; some subtle and some obvious.

Here's a question for you:

You believe that there's a connection between the set of useless plumbers (from any race, creed, colour or class), and the set of cheap plumbers from the third world. So, what is that connection?

--------------------
PS While I'm here - is it hypocritical of you to criticise me when I make a comment on of your cosy industry colleague RGI chum topics, after you stuck your broken and ineffective oar into the "Water from a vent pipe" topic?

"""You believe that there's a connection between the set of useless plumbers (from any race, creed, colour or class), and the set of cheap plumbers from the third world. So, what is that connection?"""

You have implied that I stated there is a connection between "useless plumbers" and "plumbers from the third world".

If you looked more carefully at what I originally said you will see that I was actually making a comparisom between "plumbers from the third world" and "members of the IPHE".

The difference, if its not immediately obvious to you, is that to join the IPHE one has to demonstrate a certain level of competence.

Why have you not joined?

Tony

'Eskimo' is a derogatory term. They are called 'Inuit'.

Are you racist, Softus? If not - why are you so insulting to the Inuit?

Is it inuit ? (it is innit) are you a mongolian, Joe?

It certainly is. The sooner you find Google the better.

Eskimo

SYLLABICATION: Es·ki·mo
PRONUNCIATION: sk-m
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. Eskimo or Es·ki·mos
1a. A group of peoples inhabiting the Arctic coastal regions of North America and parts of Greenland and northeast Siberia. b. A member of any of these peoples. See Usage Note at Native American. 2. Any of the languages of the Eskimo peoples.
ETYMOLOGY: French Esquimaux, possibly from Spanish esquimao, esquimal, from Montagnais ayashkimew, Micmac.
OTHER FORMS: Eski·moan —ADJECTIVE

USAGE NOTE: Eskimo has come under strong attack in recent years for its supposed offensiveness, and many Americans today either avoid this term or feel uneasy using it. It is widely known that Inuit, a term of ethnic pride, offers an acceptable alternative, but it is less well understood that Inuit cannot substitute for Eskimo in all cases, being restricted in usage to the Inuit-speaking peoples of Arctic Canada and parts of Greenland. In Alaska and Arctic Siberia, where Inuit is not spoken, the comparable terms are Inupiaq and Yupik, neither of which has gained as wide a currency in English as Inuit. While use of these terms is often preferable when speaking of the appropriate linguistic group, none of them can be used of the Eskimoan peoples as a whole; the only inclusive term remains Eskimo. •The claim that Eskimo is offensive is based primarily on a popular but disputed etymology tracing its origin to an Abenaki word meaning “eaters of raw meat.” Though modern linguists speculate that the term actually derives from a Montagnais word referring to the manner of lacing a snowshoe, the matter remains undecided, and meanwhile many English speakers have learned to perceive Eskimo as a derogatory term invented by unfriendly outsiders in scornful reference to their neighbors' unsophisticated eating habits.

Sponsored Links
Back