Increase garage security, need help identifying locking arm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an up and over garage door which currently is locked with just the standard barreled handle it comes with, it moves a couple of bits of metal into locking plates on the side of it. Wanting to increase the security on this door as it can easily be gotten into right now with a hammer and chisel.

See attached pictures of the door with movement it takes when opening, above it is a concrete lintel so am looking for a metal locking arm to be bolted in there which will drop down on a hinge and stop the door being opened.
Preferably this arm can be locked in place

Have drawn a picture of the type of kit I'm looking for, does anyone know what this might be called or know of any products similar to it?

thanks in advance

View media item 87923
View media item 87924
View media item 87925
View media item 87928

Sponsored Links
I found one of the better ways of securing these doors from the inside are two tower bolts, bolted onto the steelwork at the sides near the bottom.....the panel is so weak that getting a spade or whatever in at the top soon bends the door out of the way.
John :)

me too

Though I have padbolts going into the concrete floor and into the lintel. Best way if you have a personal door to get in and out of the garage through (and the personal door must be as strong, and as well-locked, as the front door of your house.

If there is no personal door, look up Enfield Bolts which are a key-operated lock with a long-throw bolt. Suited to the same key, you can have one at each side of the door, or four bolts if you want.

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/d613-enfield-garage-door-bolts.html

widely sold and also on ebay

p.s.

the think in your drawing looks like a Counter Top Stay. Widely used in pubs to hold the bar flap up.

Thanks guys

The garage is an integral one so attached to the house, inside is a personal door into my house and that is a heavy firedoor with sash mortice lock and bolts.
I get into the garage that way and will only be having the metal door opened if I need to move something large in or out so wanting to lock it up.

I looked into tower bolts but the back of the door isn't flush with the back of the steel framework and there isn't a lot of real estate to play with on that framework either, however those enfield bolts look the better option for my door so I'll go with those.

appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice, all the best

Sponsored Links
My brain just caught up with me

I can use tower bolts instead actually by attaching the main body into the concrete lintel and then the boltrings into the garage door itself, couple of them one each side should do ok.

thanks again

You may find the lintel difficult to drill due to the reinforcement metal which will be in there, and do consider fixing at the bottom of the door too.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

Thanks John, the neighbours got a Kango drill with masonry and metal bits so I should be fine ;)

Hasp and staple to the floor would be safer, securing the top leaves the base very vulnerable, seen many simple bent backwards as the thief crawls under the door when its still locked.

Thanks foxhole, I have some hasp and staples sitting about so I'll see if I can attach them somewhere. The garage door isn't the best, probably been there since the house got built so a couple tower bolts and a hasp at the bottom will do the trick.

It's an integral garage in a townhouse, it's 2 floors down below my bedroom and also in a cul-de-sac with most peoples houses facing each other so I don't think anyone's going to have much time having a go at it before myself or someone else comes out to play.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back