Independant report required following bodged insurance claim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Following an insurance claim last year we had our kitchen completely removed and the concrete floor taken up and replaced (The screed had blown following a water leak)

The new concrete floor (well part of it) has now also blown. I suspect that this part of the floor was never replaced in the first place, but it could be down to faulty materials or workmanship etc..

Anyway this section of the concrete floor needs replacing and the entire floor needs levelling because it drops about 2cm over a distance of 3m.

Because of the nightmare i had last time - i want to be sure of my facts this time around. The loss adjusters are quite happy to get involved with this but what i want is an independent report.

But who do i go to:

What i want is for someone to come round, take a look at the existing work and then decide on whats needs to be done to rectify it.

Does the whole floor need to come up, does the kitchen need to be removed (again) etc, etc..

Who do i need to get hold of?

A builder/surveyor/flooring expert/screed company.......

Really am clueless as to where to turn.

Once i get an independent report, i can then approach the loss adjuster and can agree a way forward for the works to be done.

Any help greatly appreciated!! :D

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
i live in a redundant coal mining area, where they built a coal board housing estate in the late fifties early sixties to house the miners.
it was common practice to fill the oversite bases with red slag instead of the more common and inert mot type 1.

big mistake.

concrete ground floors all over the estate started "lifting" as a result. they even started calling it red death! a lot of the houses have had to have the entire ground floor dug up and re- laid with less reactive hard core.

some were made up to as much as 2 metres in depth. :eek:

noseall said:
i live in a redundant coal mining area, where they built a coal board housing estate in the late fifties early sixties to house the miners.
it was common practice to fill the oversite bases with red slag instead of the more common and inert mot type 1.

big mistake.

concrete ground floors all over the estate started "lifting" as a result. they even started calling it red death! a lot of the houses have had to have the entire ground floor dug up and re- laid with less reactive hard core.

some were made up to as much as 2 metres in depth. :eek:

I can't quite see who you are recommending the OP gets to do the report. :confused:

i'm under the suspicion that the origins of the fault need clarifying first.
the history of which is knowledge to surveyors and building control.
this may help when making a future claim.

the op did ask for ANY help :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back