flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a concrete floor laid but it has a large high spot in the centre, i can not level it using a screed etc because i need the floor level lower to lie in with a laminate from an ajoining room. Whats the best way of taking the floor level down. Dont really want to use a kangol!!

Sponsored Links
If it's not too big a bump- I used an angle grinder and vac.- and if you're not too fussy about the finish. You can work on that with a sander to tidy a bit- Or try wet it and skim with a wet cement paste. However I'm no expert. :!:

Hire a von-arx machine. (Looks a bit like a floor sanding machine but has TCT fails on the bottom" This will make short work of the high spot and if you take too much off, bring the levels up with latex.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget, a newly laid sand & cement or concrete screed will need to be properly dry before you lay any moisture susceptible flooring on to it. This includes laminate. Normal drying times under ideal conditions (heat & ventilation) are 1 day per mm of thickness of sub-floor up to 100mm, (i.e 60 days for a 60mm thick screed) for thicknesses over this it can take over a year to dry fully. Test with a hygrometer to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back