Intergral Garage; Laying a new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garage (size 28' x 8') thats attached to the house and want to convert it to a living room. We're going through proper channels building control etc and I'm unsure what to do about the floor.

Currently, the garage floor which is concrete slopes from front to back running out by about 3". We need to build up the floor level to match that of the main house (need to go about 3" average higher)

Question is; whats the best way to (a) level the floor and (b) increase its height. The building inspector is happy with either a concrete screed or a timber framework sat on the floor. I can get it screeded and levelled for £240 or if I do the woodwork myself it'll cost me £140 in materials. I'm thinking screed is the best way. Seems to me a right pain to level the sloping floor using timber etc but with screed theres the risk of it not being 100% level? apparently after screeding, I put celotex down and chipboard flooring loose on top?Success of this method depends on screed being dead level? and how tricky is that to acheive??

Any thoughts?

All replies much appreciated...................

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be a problem
.Strike a level line around you're garage wall.
As you are paying someone to screed it for you I would hope they would be compentant enough to put it in level :)

For the sake of 100 quids i would get it screeded, any screeder worth his salt will get it level.
If you go the timber route and the fall is even then you can get firring pieces cut at a timber yard, they just need to know the thickness at the thickend and the length to which they need to be cut to nothing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I thought I had an email notification set up for replies to threads. Not so, so I've just read these replies this minute!

Actually, floor was screeded today and looks pretty good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back