Independent heating in an extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the very early stages of a dining room extension.

It’s nowhere near any existing radiators so if I built it say 6x4mtrs, could I heat it independently from the rest of the house with a small boiler and 2 radiators?

There is gas, water and electric close by.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could, but the boiler would be massively inefficient and not last very long due to excessive cycling

as already advised zone off from your existing system and use radiators or Underfloor heating supplied from the existing system for independent control

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure what you mean by Zones?

I have an Intergas RF36 boiler that has 22mm flow and returns. They Tee off under the boiler with a pair for downstairs and a pair for upstairs.

The downstairs pipework all goes away from where the extension will be and between the downstairs pipework is a tiled floor with electric underfloor heating. The floor is what I think is stopping me using the existing.

The upstairs pipework does have a radiator above where the extension will be but I didn’t think dropping down from that would be a good idea incase it puts extra pressure on the pump. Having said that I don’t know if that’s right.

No the pump will be fine, it is not a pump , it is a circulator, Zoning means you fit electric zone valves that open and close when you want the different zones to be on or off, so you could have as many zones as you want with the correct controls and they will all heat independently.

Ive been reading about the zones, I don’t fully understand them but I imagine I could fit a pair of the valves in a hatch in the extension ceiling where I could T off the existing system.

How would creating a separate zone compare to me putting TRV’s on 2 radiators in there? And would my Intergas Intouch me able to control the zones?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Ive been reading about the zones, I don’t fully understand them but I imagine I could fit a pair of the valves
you only need one valve on the flow, Trvs will only close the rads in the extension and will require another zone somewhere to be on at the same time, not really what you want, the intouch has its own control programme, you should really get a pro in who understands controls , there are so many variations these days , selecting the correct one will save you money and give you what you want from your system, you have a really good boiler, dont scrimp on the controlls of the system

Good advice, thanks very much. I’ll get the guy that fitted the boiler back nearer the time (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back