Indesit Cooker Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an Indesit K3E1 electric cooker delivered.
The company i purchased from didnt have an option for the install, but as i did my previous cooker i thought it would be the same!
I read the install instructions with the cooker - all it says is to connect live, neutral and earth - which i have done.
I have all 4 hotplates working, and the oven light works fine, but when you actually turn the oven and the temp control on - nothing happens.
I have spoken to Indesit who say this is a common problem as there are 2 elements that need connecting in order for the oven to operate and it often gets missed.
Can anyone tell me if this is something i can do and if so how? They are quoting me £59.99 to do it, even tho the cooker is 2 days old, and will not venture out at the weekend so i would have to take time off work.
There is nothing in the book about these elements at all!
PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
If you were not informed you needed to connect something when you bought the cooker then it is up to whoever sold it to you to rectify the problem or refund your money, if Indesit have told you it is a common problem it suggests they think it should have been done by the supplier.Tell them you want it doing at a time convenient to you or your money back.

Switch off remove fuse (for safety), remove the panel where the mains cable enters the cooker. THe chances are on the connection palte there will be a link that needs connecting to the live. It could be marker L1 + L2.

Have a look and report back.

I am assuming it does not have a timer & the timer is set to auto.

NEVER ASSUME

I'll have to check when i get home tonight but i am 90% sure there isnt.
All i could see was the 3 main connections (L,N,E) and i checked 3 times to see if there was anything else to connect.
I even removed the back plate of the cooker to see if there were any other wires going into the plate that i needed to connect and there wasnt.
Apart from what i have already connected i see nothing!

Sponsored Links
FollowsN, If you remove the back panel, the chances are you will see the wires connected to the element.
If there is no timer then these wires will go straight to the thermostat, if there is a timer (the chances are thats the problem) they will go to the timer.

Ok looks like there is no timer, so it should be easy to follow the wires.
But
If the grill is in the oven, there there will either be a selctor switch on the control panel or the oven will be switched via the grill control.

Have you contacted Hotpoint who I believe are the service company. You could try telling them that it was installed by a competent person. I would also expect there to be installation instructions.

there's no timer and the oven/grill are combined (ie door closed=oven and open = grill)
I actually told Indesit that it had been installed by a qualified electrician and their response was still that they often find this problem that the elements are not connected, even when i said i had paid £60 for an electrician they said they would still charge me.
Installation instructions?? 1 page that says must be read by an electrician telling them how to connect 3 wires - no mention at all of connecting elements!!!

I would say it has been installed according to the instructions supplied & that you are prepared to pay if it is an installation problem is the cause.
Or you could try going back to where you bought it & say its faulty.

Does the grill work. The grill will be using different elements, unless the oven has a roof mounted element which is unlikely.

I've rang Indesit AGAIN and they have asked me to check if any of the 'jumpers' have been removed and/or connected?
Apparantley if this is the case then the install is not correct and thats where i get charged!
I didnt remove or connect anything apart from the 3 main wires.
Does anyone know what these 'jumpers' may be and if i may have affected them inadvertantly?
Thanks

They are calling them 'jumpers' I called them links.
You do need to check this, they should be on the mains terminal block.

what am i looking for?
I couldnt see any other wires on the connection box or anything else that looked like it could be connected to the mains?

A normal connector block would be plastic IT MUST HAVE L + N marked on it.

If it is for multi phasing (export market) then there is liable to be an extra L .
This will be or should be connected to the other L it could be a metal link or a wire link.

If it is not connected then you can link it.
If its an approved cooker it should be clearly marked L1,L2 etc N & E.

If you cant understand this post a picture. If you bought the appliance from a reputable place, it may be you can go back there & tell them the problem & ask them if they would take the back of another cooker & show you.

its difficult saying for sure as im not at home, but the only thing i can think of is that on the connection for the live wire, there was one place for the wire to go (which is then screwed in place) but i seem to recall another hole above this (that was not screwed).
could this be what i am looking for?
how do i go about connecting the 2?

FollowsN said:
its difficult saying for sure as im not at home, but the only thing i can think of is that on the connection for the live wire, there was one place for the wire to go (which is then screwed in place) but i seem to recall another hole above this (that was not screwed).
could this be what i am looking for?
how do i go about connecting the 2?

If this is the L2, Then you can link it with a piece of the cable that you have used to connected the appliance. Use the red core, ensure that it will not contact any metal sharp edges.

If this is the case, do i just need to cut a piece of the red cable and feed it thru the other hole at the top?
does this need fixing in somehow or just feeding thru the hole?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back