Indesit DIF04 integrated dishwasher - door stiff and heavy to open/close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a rented property and 'inherited' this dishwasher. The door is so stiff and heavy to open and close that I have put my back out a couple of times. An internet search suggested that perhaps a faulty door spring was to blame, but my usually very handy hubby chickened out of having a look at this so today we have had the Indesit man round. He could not have been less interested, just told me that there was nothing wrong with it and there was nothing he could do about it. According to him, "all integrated dishwashers have heavy doors". This is my third integrated dishwasher and I have never come across this problem before. In fact, it has never occurred to me that there has been any difference in the handling of doors in freestanding and integrated appliances - I have had both over the years. My last one was an integrated Hotpoint and the door could be pushed down and lifted up again with one finger - no problem. Is this an Indesit issue? I would be very grateful for any insight and advice. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Any scraping noises when opening/closing?
Failing that you might be better off with a local repair man

Thank you for getting back to me. No, there are no scraping noises, just a feeling of great resistance in both directions - the door is very heavy and difficult to push down and equally hard to lift up again. We got the Indesit engineer as the appliance is not ours and we therefore wanted someone who would know what to do and not damage it in any way. I was not prepared for him telling me that "there is nothing wrong with it, they are all like that". My plan now is to ask the neighbours about theirs (also Indesit, I believe) - if theirs is not "like that" I am going to do my best to get my £120 'repair fee' back from Indent! What a joke! I will get in touch with a local repair man for an opinion, as you suggest. Thank you again for responding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back