Indesit IDV65 drum struggling to turn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Following on from my washing machine fix (Beko carbon brushes) the Indesit IDV65 tumble dryer is struggling to turn (certainly on higher loads). I've actually just changed the heating element and thermostat as the old one was on the way out, but conscious that since I swapped this last night the drum turn has worsened (sometimes struggles to turn).
The belt seemed quite tight (and it takes a bit of strength to turn the drum manually, but nothing out of the ordinary) but the front end (facing the door) seemed to be slightly off it's felt padding that the drum sits on.
Is there anyway I can fix this? Seems a shame to bin after successfully changing the heating element but I know how flimsy these things are when you take them apart.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
...Just to add, I've seen fixes applying to the start capacitor but not sure if that's down to machines that don't turn at all i.e. this machine does spin so more inclined to think it's a physical issue (and maybe due to the machine sat unlevel on the floor under the sink)? Unless the capacitor can slowly die down and work intermittently? But then a larger load wouldn't turn at all where as a test run (say with just one tea towel inside) would.

EDIT- Something else to add. This was potentially caused by some laces from a jacket getting caught in the machine a couple of weeks back. It jammed the drum and I had to fight the lace out from inside the drum. This happened twice actually so I made sure nothing with laces was placed in again. But that could maybe the culprit? Not sure if that would damage the capacitor somewhat or whether it's affected the rollers?
Pretty sure it's not the bearing at the back as I replaced that a couple of years ago (and it starts with that screeching sound!).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could it have overheated the motor and damaged the windings when it got jammed?.

Definitely a possibility. It was also leaning back (levelling legs at the back have broken) which stopped the drum turning. Placing a piece underneath at the back to level it out is helping but it struggles with heavy loads now. Not sure the drum is sitting properly now (the felt band seems a little out of place).

Are those windings hard to replace?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to take the belt off & see if the motor bearings are free to turn

Definitely a possibility. It was also leaning back (levelling legs at the back have broken) which stopped the drum turning. Placing a piece underneath at the back to level it out is helping but it struggles with heavy loads now. Not sure the drum is sitting properly now (the felt band seems a little out of place).

Are those windings hard to replace?
Thanks

It'll be a new motor if they are damaged.

I've had results before cleaning the commutator pads (and between them) before on motorcycle started motors, depends if you can take the motor to bits (or justify the work).

Armature_1.jpg

Thanks folks. Since levelling it up it's been ok. The trouble has also been with the floor behind it. When we moved in a few years ago the kitchen was 'relatively' new but whoever did it made the decision to only tile up to the appliances (instead of all the way behind) in some assumed cost cutting exercise. This means every time you pull the appliances out it's a struggle to fit them back in. Over time the tumble dryer legs have clearly been damaged hence now not being level.
Heavier loads might struggle but it seems the issue could either be the worn motor bearings or the drum not sitting on the felt (or that's worn too).
I changed the back drum bearing a few years ago but once I took the machine apart I could tell it was not a machine that liked being taken apart (flimsy and the drum sitting issue).
When I get time I'll see if I can look at the drum issues initially but it's working fine on smaller loads.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back