Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I've not long had a new Beko vented Tumble dryer and couldn't understand why I was getting static electric shocks as I was pulling out the clothes after drying but now I think I find the cause.

Although the metal cabinet on the tumble dryer is earthed (I tested to the earth pin on the 13a plug with a continuity meter) the Metal drum is not earthed!
eek.png

I had to be inquisitive and open up the cover at the back that covers the heater element and the back of the drum and can see why the drum is not earthed , they have not put a brass metal earthing strip from the outer metal to the tip of the drum and the drum spindle runs through a plastic bearing and sits on rubber wheels so without this brass earthing strip of metal which other manufactures like creda, hotpoint, indesit even white knight all fit this Beko has not got one fitted.

Its no wonder then I was getting a static shock as if the drum were earthed would the static electricity from the clothes drain down through the metal drum , then through the brass strip if it was there and then through earth?

Not only that, it might be a one in a million chance but what if a live wire came into contact with the metal drum? there are wires running along side of the drum. If the drum is not earthed then the drum would be live, not blow a fuse or trip a switch in the consumer box and then electrocute someone who touches the drum , a full 230v ac jolt.

I wonder how it made it to market without an earthed drum and how can that be safe appliance? - I would hazard a guess that their Condenser model of this the DTGC8000W as well most probably has an un-earthed drum too maybe?

Here is what the earthing strap looks like on a Indesit or hotpoint model :

earth-strip.jpg

back-of-dryer.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back