Indesit Tumble Dryer Not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing this one for a friend.

Indesit IS70C tumble dryer not getting hot. Have had the back off and the elements look ok. The thermostats above the elements give a closed circuit reading when using a test meter. I presume these are safety cutouts ?

Update = when i checked the thermostats
cutouts without leads attached discovered one was open circuit = problem solved.

Sponsored Links
Hi there

you must be a nice person if you are helping a friend this way ;)

I read your post with interest, as I am staring at my dryers heating elements presently and wonder why it wont heat.

Power is ok, the warning lights in front are blinking busily,- and I did notice those two button like thingies at the top of the heating elements in the back cover.
Are they what you mean when you say "thermostats cutouts"?

I strongly suspect I just need to trip/replace a fuse or such.. would you explain to me what you did? I am not very good with electrics,- but figure this cant be so hard, can it?

Thanks for your help, greets, Jana

The two little button things are safety cut outs which are designed to prevent the dryer catching fire if it overheats.

I have since learned that the most common cause for these to fail is when the door is opened halfway through a drying cycle " to see if things are dry" without moving the timer onto the cooling cycle first.

The cutouts are non resetable and must be replaced. "Mine" had a domed metal surface which I suspect distorts when heated and operates a tiny switch inside.

They cost about £15 including shipping. If you have progressed as far as looking at the devices then could you remove them and take them to a electrical shop - the kind that sells bulbs heaters wire fuses etc - and ask them to check them with an ohm meter. If either one is open circuit the PAIR must be replaced - take a note of where the one with the white dot (or similar marking) fits because they have a different heat rating.

Hope this helps

Mike

oh thanks! what fast reply ;)

I shall try and do that,- though not sure where to go with them, as the brand indesit is almost unheard of here.. lets hope these "buttons" are fairly standard.

I'll let you know how it went.

Sponsored Links
no they are not :cry: they all look the same, but they all have differnt temp settings too high and..............

Could you buy a cheap test meter - the kind that has a continuity buzzer built in? Then you could remove the electrical connections from the cut outs and test for continuity (i.e. closed circuit and good ! ) without removing them from the machine. Easy to do and the meter is always useful for checking batteries and fuses

But check and check again before touching the heating circuit that the machine is unplugged from the main socket - and then check again. - you may only get one chance to get it wrong! Do not just switch it off - UNPLUG it.!!

ok. I have freed up the "buttons" (and thank you, yes, I always remove plugs before handling electrics), but I haven't removed the cables yet, (because I cannot figure out if they are soldered, or just stuck into those white plastic cases like a plug-connection..

Indeed one "button" is white and the other black, and one convex and the other smooth in surface.
(Just making sure we are talking about the same things)

So this test meter works also if I do not have electricity coming through? (sorry,- I did tell you I'm no good with electrics).
I have a screwdriver which lights up if there is electricity,- but I imagine that wouldnt work, right?

I cant do anything until tomorrow anyhow,- so I might as well contemplate my options..

a) remove these fuses and take em to a shop
b) get the current meter and test first,- but might still take the fuses out because they wont work..

oh, and I just thought of c) ask my bike mechanic neighbor if he has such a meter and if I could borrow it for a sec,-

So is there no "trip switch" type thing on these dryers which could have caused this?

And MDS2211: yes I did go and check "if the laundry is dry" in mid cycle.. so it is quite likely that this has caused it. oops

The cables should be a push fit - no sodlering should be required. The smooth one is the suspect one..........

The test meter works without electricity - it has a small battery inside which sends a low voltage (9V) signal through any circuit to which the 2 leads are connected - and the buzzer will buzz if a complete circuit exists - you can confirm this by connecting the two test leads together with the test meter set to continuity mode and the buzzer will buzz.

I am not aware of any other trip switches but if the machine turns the drum and does everything else except dry the clothes then you have defined the problem to the heater circuit - It MIGHT be the heater elements but I would bet that the cut out for the low heat setting is the one which has failed and therefore it stops the high heat setting from gettting any electricity. Ask your neighour if he can test a circuit (i.e the cut out) for continuity....

Buen suerte

Ok, so: i managed to borrow a volt meter, dismantled the fuses (push fit plugs, thanks mike), and measured.

As suspected, the black one (incidentally with the white spot) was dead. so I tried to get hold of a supplier who will send me the parts, I was sent 'round from Peter to Paul and back again,- as Indesit is actually not officially sold here.
I finally get a serviceman to sort out the correct part for me, and as we noted the order he tells me it will take 2 weeks for them to come, as they get ordered from Italy (!). He hears my surprise and asks helpfully:
"Did you try the reset?"

So he explains to me how that is done, see photo: //network.diynot.com/user_album_update.php?album_id=125

and hey presto: it works again!
Well, actually I had to reassemble everything again, including plugging in the right cables into the right nibs,- as I had forgotten to make a note of that,-oops- and all the casings.
But actually you can get to the little hole to reset very easily if you just take the cover off,- so next time it will be much easier.

Thank you all for your help,- I literally could'nt have done it without you!
Big wave from Switzerland, I'll spare you the yodel,- swissmuse.

just a little note to anyone else with the same problem. t.o.c's (thermal cutouts) can be of different types (not only temperature), usually there are 2 - one is a self reseting and the other is what is called a one shot. it is normally the one shot that goes. the differnt types include a resetable toc (small hole in which to push in a pin to reset) a solid based toc (must be replaced) and the norm (no hole bi-metal (curved on bottom)type) tip for the norm type - if the metal if curved out (convex) its fine, if it curves in (concave) its blown (tip.tip.tip - push a small strip of strong tape (duct/gaffer tape) fully onto the curved metal & whip it back off quickly (can and does reset). assuming the t.o.c is not solid bottomed you can reset the others in the same way. also if your machine a 3 t.o.c's and your dryer apears compleatly dead, the third t.o.c breaks the negetive feed to the entire drier (new european safety standard). hope this helps you all out.

hi guys my Indesit iv60v does not heat any more
i replace them heating element at the back from amazon but still not heat i mus be over looking something here... HELP

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back