Indesit Washer/Dryer not emptying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Indesit Washer/Dryer. Believe it or not I have it about 11 or 12 years!! That is mad in this day and age. I remember after about 18 months, the motor failed. I called a technician out and he suggested that a new machine might be the best approach. But for whatever reason, I told him to replace the motor, which he did. The machine has never failed mechanically since. It still runs briliantly. The power button fell off, but nothing that a chopstick doesn't solve!! TRUE story.
But we love the machine so much. These days appliances last 5 years max. SO we know this one is special.
Anyway, yesterday we put a wash on, and when it was finished, the water was still in the machine. I had to take the hose and point it into a bucket and set the machine to empty the water, and empty the whole thing manually. Strangely, once the machine was nearly empty, I could hear the pump working again.
There is no strange noises from the pump. Anyway, today I tried again and the same thing happened. I had to empty it myself with the same tactics.
My first instinct was that it must be the pump as the water out hose travels upwards, but the pump sounds like it works. I opened the back of the machine to check for a rogue sock or something that might be caught in the pump, and I've kind of pushed on to out house, and if there is anything in there, it is water.
The next step is either to call a techie, or lie the machine down and explore more. I assume if I lie it down, more water will pour out. But if I do that, should I open up the part that joins the drum to the pump and see if that might be blocked? Being honest, I don't think a block sounds likely as the water does empty out into the bucket when I take the hose out of the sink ad place it in a bucket.
Any advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Apologies, but any idea where I'd find the pressure switch? I have had a good squeeze of the pipe itself and I think there may be some water in it, but that wouldn't be hugely unusual right?

Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone finds this problem again, mine turned out to be the drainage pump filter. I removed the kick plate and opened the cap of the filter. Water will pour out, so wedge the machine up onto a small can of paint or tomatoes or whatever. And then put a basin or a cooking tray under to gather what should be a small enough amount of water. Anyway, what flew out among the water were a 1 Euro coin and a 1 European Cent coin!! So there you go. The machine is back to its best again now. Thanks for the suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back