Indian stone driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to lay 100m2 of indian stone (uncallibrated) for my driveway and wondered what the best bedding would be. Have already dug out and got down 100mm of hardcore on a good base. I laid a patio last year on 5 parts sharp sand and 1 part cement but fancy laying on cement as I think it will be easier to lay. Concerned as its a drive and we have 3 cars on it, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Wow. Not too sure as to the suitability of Indian sandstone as a drive myself.
If i were to do it i'd put it on mortar bed (3:1). Approx 30mm thick. The bed would have to be solid (no air gaps). I would also coat the underneath of each stone with diluted PVA or even SBR as i layed them.
Good luck.
Post up some pics...during and after...i'd be interested to see the outcome.

You need a deeper sub-base, 150mm minimum for a driveway.

You really need to be careful to chose one of the harder sandstones like kandla grey. Speak to a good supplier who knows what they are doing for advice.

I would get over to the paving expert forum and post there as there are plenty of guys on there who can give you more specific advice including a few suppliers.

Mortor bed as in building sand 3 ; 1 or with some grit sand. Mate of mine who is a builder (too expensive and too busy) sasy he lays his on a good 5 sand 1 cement mix but the sand he uses is a bit gritter than normal building sand (straight from a quarry). When I did the patio on solid 5 ; 1 grit sand and cement (mixed like dough) it was a pain to lay as really thick and no room to tap down to level and I also thought the slabs more rested on the mix rather than rested and stuck, hope that makes sense and thanks for the replys.

Sponsored Links
Grit sand based mortar is much stronger. Mortar made with building sand is very weak in depths over 20mm because of the small grain size.

Building sand is also a problem because it holds so much water that it becomes like porridge when trying to tap flags down into it.

I use sharp/grit sand 5:1 mixed up similiar consistancy (a fraction stiffer) to bricklaying mortar with plenty of plasticiser to give it a bit of bounce. I lay it between 25-50mm deep

The fact of slabs resting on the bed isn;t so much of a problem but the way to overcome it is to add sbr or prime the back of the flags with sbr as EB1 said above.

I can;t stress enough how different the sandstone varieties can be strength wise and your choice of stone will be very important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back