Priming slurry mix for Indian stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you confirm what the best mix is to make a homemade priming slurry to be used on Indian sandstone prior to laying on a mortar bed

Is it something like:

1 bucket of cement mixed into 2 buckets of water?

Also, when laying the slabs is it best to use a 4:1 sharp sand:cement mix as the bedding? Should I add a little water to the mix?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So is 2 buckets water, 1 bucket cement correct …. How much SBR additive would I add?

So is 2 buckets water, 1 bucket cement correct …. How much SBR additive would I add?
Put some cement in a bucket - about 40mm in the bottom. Add another 80mm of water to the bucket and thrash the bjeezus out of it. Then add a third of a 5 litre bottle of SBR and thrash again. Leave the stick in the bucket because the cement will continue to settle.

Sponsored Links
Put some cement in a bucket - about 40mm in the bottom. Add another 80mm of water to the bucket and thrash the bjeezus out of it. Then add a third of a 5 litre bottle of SBR and thrash again. Leave the stick in the bucket because the cement will continue to settle.
I’m to old for thrashing and prefer to use a paddle in the drill
Product Code: 34216 From TS

Ok thanks! What sort of square metre would that amount cover? Cheers

20m ish. Put it on with a roller and lay the slabs wet.
I’ve just bought a 4” masonry brush to use (before reading this), will that be ok to use?

Do you mean I should wet the back of the slabs with a sponge or something before applying the slurry?

Back if the slab wants to be damp but not wet so the slurry can grab on . Slurry goes off really fast so dont let it dry anywhere you dont want it particularly your glasses if worn. What ever you use to put it on, I keep it buried under the slurry so it doesn't dry off when not actually slapping it on ..its better this time of year but when the Sun is out you gotta work fast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back