What primer for Indian sandstone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What primer would you advise to apply to the back of the paving slabs before laying on a mortar bed?

While I’m at it, is 4:1 sharp sand:cement a good enough mix? How wet should the mortar be when laying paving?

Sponsored Links
I normally use cement and water slurry. Works well and know others who do the same. I know others who use SBR also.
4:1 sounds a bit strong. It should be only just wet enough to spread to a continuous base and level the slabs on. Too wet and it starts oozing up through the gaps when you push them down and you need to clean it up.

Cheers

So basically water and cement?

How much water per level shovel of cement?

Sponsored Links
What primer would you advise to apply to the back of the paving slabs before laying on a mortar bed?

While I’m at it, is 4:1 sharp sand:cement a good enough mix? How wet should the mortar be when laying paving?
Cement and SBR slurry. Makes for a good bond. When you lift a sunk slab, the wet muck is all stuck to the slab when you lift it.

just mix it so that it can be brushed on as a thick ish coat (think neat gloss paint ?), whether you go sbr or water

Didn’t use any primer on mine , perfectly good without .
If you’re talking about the riven multi size packs like kandla grey, raj blend etc you’ve done well. They’re very prone to not adhering

If you’re talking about the riven multi size packs like kandla grey, raj blend etc you’ve done well. They’re very prone to not adhering
Yes , went down well , around 50sq meters.

Didn’t use any primer on mine , perfectly good without .
Risky. I didn't do mine at home, and a couple have delaminated off the beds. However, mine are solid wet bedded and have not disturbed the pointing. We have re-laid 'popped' patios. Not good. The first thing that gives is the pointing and the obvious rocking slab.

They’re very prone to not adhering
Correct.

We prime all our stone slabs now.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back