Indicator light on power socket behaving erratically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's one of those neon light indicators that should come on if the switch on the socket is in the "on" position. However, the light on this socket comes on only if I press the plug hard, when it is already in the socket. The appliances work all the time, regardless whether the indicator is on.
Is the indicator broken, or could it be actually something else that is wrong with the circuit?

Sponsored Links
some of the indicators connect to the socket using a push in terminal/hole.
These wires sometimes can fall out or be loose.
Removal of the socket from the wall with the power ISOLATED would be neccesary to check

What make is the socket

Old neons can behave in some strange ways. It sounds like you just need the socket front replacing.

It is a basic type socket, either Wickes or B&Q, can't remember now. I fitted it myself a month ago, and I think it was like that from the beginning. I guess I'll have to have another go at it...

Sponsored Links
It could be that the neon contacts are loose or broken. Depending the way they are configured, this could happen when terminating the supply cables. So would check that, if the issue is still occurring, then given the age of the accessory, I would take it back and ask for a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back