Neon light switch permanently illuminated (for loft light)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a loft light switch with neon indicator light. The switch itself works perfectly fine but the neon indicator is permanently illuminated, whether the switch is on or off. I am not sure if it designed to be permanently illuminated or if it is wired incorrectly.

I have taken a couple of photographs of the wiring (plus the switch itself) as best I can without actually taking the wires out.

I am fairly confident with very basic electrical challenges such as bog standard 1 way switches, sockets, light fittings but I am a little perplexed with this one!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20170311_112610.jpg
    20170311_112610.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 735
  • 20170311_112133.jpg
    20170311_112133.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 603
  • 20170311_112116.jpg
    20170311_112116.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 644
Sponsored Links
I'd suspect that the supply has been connected to the load side of the switch

Is there a reasonable way of identifying which is the offending live wire to be moved or would I be best placed to get a professional in?

With the power off, you need to swap the twin red wires with the single red, then do the same with the blacks.

Remove the single red wire from the terminal, then move the two red wires to where the single red was, and put the single red where the two wires were.
Repeat with the black wires.
It is essential that the two red / two black that are together now remain that way. You may want to mark the single wire with a pen or label first.

Sponsored Links
With the power off, you need to swap the twin red wires with the single red, then do the same with the blacks.

Remove the single red wire from the terminal, then move the two red wires to where the single red was, and put the single red where the two wires were.
Repeat with the black wires.
It is essential that the two red / two black that are together now remain that way. You may want to mark the single wire with a pen or label first.

Thanks will give that try, I thought doing that would reverse the switch (i.e. off is on and vice versa) but it obviously isnt the same as a normal switch. So basically so long as I keep the same twin neutrals and twin lives with each other I cant go to far wrong....

Not essential but I would have liked to see an earth link from the spare vacant earth terminal on the switch back to the box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back