neon lit switch for loft lights.

Sponsored Links
Because the neon is wired across the switch. With the switch open the voltage across it causes the neon to light, but the current through the neon is so small that the lamp doesn't light noticeably.

Do you have a light on the landing? If so, you could arrange that the loft light can only be switched on when the landing light is on.

If so, you could arrange that the loft light can only be switched on when the landing light is on.

Not a good idea, someone, unaware there is someone in the loft, may switch the landing light OFF putting the loft in darkness,

Sponsored Links
Because the neon is wired across the switch. With the switch open the voltage across it causes the neon to light, but the current through the neon is so small that the lamp doesn't light noticeably.
That depends what you mean by 'across' the switch.

How is there current through the neon when only one side is connected?

That depends what you mean by 'across' the switch. How is there current through the neon when only one side is connected?
We're surely talking about the situation in which both sides of the neon are connected - one to each side of the switch? If so, then when the switch is open, then (provided there is a load connected to the circuit) current will flow through the neon and load (far too little current to be 'noticed' by most loads). However, when the switch is closed, the neon will be 'shorted out', hence no current through it.

Kind Regards, John

upload_2020-7-1_15-5-8.png

The conductance of the lamp lamp allows the Neutral to reach the Switched Live,

Ok. Can we assume that the OP has moved the neon connections, when he wrote this?

"So I thought I might be use just the single side of an immersion heater switch with neon indicator.. but whilst the switch works fine, the neon lamp lights when the switch is off rather than when its on. can I flip connections or add some bridging wires to fix this and if so where ??"

Ok. Can we assume that the OP has moved the neon connections, when he wrote this?
"So I thought I might be use just the single side of an immersion heater switch with neon indicator.. but whilst the switch works fine, the neon lamp lights when the switch is off rather than when its on. can I flip connections or add some bridging wires to fix this and if so where ??"
Well, it's obviously impossible that the neon could have lit with only one side of it connected to anything. I therefore assumed that when the OP wrote "the single side of an immersion heater switch" he was referring to (both 'in' and 'out' of) one pole of a double-pole switch.

The 'obvious' (indeed, probably only) explanation for the neon lighting when the switch is off is surely what bernard and myself has suggested, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

I suppose it must be that. It just seems odd not to mention it.
Maybe, but (assuming I'm right) all he "didn't mention" was that the 'one side' was 'one side (pole) of a DP switch', and he may well have felt that that didn't need saying.

Kind Regards, John

...but he did say that -

...but he did say that - "So I thought I might be use just the single side of an immersion heater switch with neon indicator.. but whilst the switch works fine, the neon lamp lights when the switch is off rather than when its on. can I flip connections or add some bridging wires to fix this and if so where ??"
He did, but, as I said, if one reads that to mean "So I thought I might be use just the single side one pole of an (DP) immersion heater switch with neon indicator....", then it all makes sense,m doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Well, I suppose that is what is meant - except not possible, but

an "immersion heater switch with neon" is "a thing".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back