Indirect Heating System Not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently installed a new hot water cylinder and connected it to an existing gravity fed Indirect heating system. This comprises of a small header tank in the loft and a gas burner on the ground floor, with a drain valve next to it. There is some kind of thermocouple/thermostat that sits in a hole in the pipe of the hot water side of the burner. This burner is only used for the hot water system and not for any central heating. There are no pumps on the system and I think I have a circulation problem.

The burner pilot light stays on and the thermostat is set to high. When lit initially, the burner flares for about 2 minutes then goes off with the pilot light left burning. The "hot side" pipes feel very hot near the burner, and the "cold side" remains cold, but the hot water in the cylinder does not get any hotter and the burner only comes back on for a few minutes once the pipes on the hot side cool down sufficiently.

Is it possible that there may be an air lock, and if so how do I go about getting rid of it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,Billfitter :confused:

Sponsored Links
would say your coil in your cylinder is airlocked have you not got a bleed valve near the cylinder pipework.

I can't see any bleed valve's on the system at all, only the drain valve at the lowest part near the burner. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back