Individually connected Double Sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Standard Double sockets have 1 pair of connections on the back for Live and Neutral. These are shared between the 2 switches on the front plate.

I'm looking for a double socket that has individual Live and Neutral per switch.

Do these exist?

Robert

Sponsored Links
Can't say I've ever seen them - kind of counter intuitive to what they are. Depends what you're trying to achieve, but a dual back box with two single sockets fits the bill.

PJ

Thanks for the quick response PJ and holmslaw,

I have an X10 Home automation Appliance module (AW12) that fits in the backbox. I want to connect it to only one of the sockets.

I was considering using a dual backbox but didn't want to open up the wall further and prefer to keep the double socket arrangement rather than replace with 2 singles.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Sponsored Links
You can get four-module "euro" units which you can equip with two single sockets, however the ones I've seen are unswitched and contain no indication, so may not stand up from an isolation point of view if you're using them with any kind of automation.

@mfarrow
Do you have a link to any further information about these four-module euro units?

@RossR
I alredy use X10 plugin modules but wanted something built in. The HomeEasy option is intriguing!
A few questions:
Is there a way to interface this with X10?
Can it be computer controlled?
Are there any incompatibility issues with X10?

GET do a range called "rocca modular" which has 13A socket modules, the two position 13A socket modules aren't switched though (they do a 13A switched socket module but it's 3 positions wide so you won't fit a pair of them on a double socket sized plate). I've never seen the individual modules for sale but i've seen prebuilt assemblies under an own brand name at homebase. I dunno if they still sell it but it may be worth a visit.

@plugwash
Thanks plugwash, I had a look for the Rocca range but it seems that GET have been bought out by a new company that doesn't list the range anymore

@RossR
Thanks for the info! I am going to go ahead with HomeEasy as it ticks most of the boxes. It's not X10 but then I can probably find a way to interface the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back