Induction hob buying advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to buy an induction hob but looking at online videos, some of them look like I might need to do a uni degree course to operate them. Mrs Mottie wants nothing 'connected' or any gimmicky things on it. I’d like as many gimmicks as possible - you never know when you’ll need a gimmick! All we can agree on at the moment is the size - 80cm. It’s causing arguments. I would prefer a premium brand. Can anyone give me some tips or pointers of what to look for and what to avoid?

Sponsored Links
We're looking to buy an induction hob but looking at online videos, some of them look like I might need to do a uni degree course to operate them. Mrs Mottie wants nothing 'connected' or any gimmicky things on it. I’d like as many gimmicks as possible - you never know when you’ll need a gimmick! All we can agree on at the moment is the size - 80cm. It’s causing arguments. I would prefer a premium brand. Can anyone give me some tips or pointers of what to look for and what to avoid?
The beauty of induction is the (virtually instant) control.

We have a Neff 1, not sure of model number but it is highly recommended, because of the variation in heating choices. It goes from 1 to 9, with half steps in between.

Have used other makes, without so many choices and it sounds minor, but it was a lot harder to get the exact heat setting. Was a lot of going up then back down.

As for gimmicks, they are not for me, I just want a hob that does what it is told. It only heats pans.

Coming from gas to induction... I find the selecting the 'ring' then the temperature control up or down a bit of faff, lots of touch screen clicks, especially when I want to turn one ring off when the others are on.

Personally I'd buy one with a knob next time.

Also there merest touch on the 'controls' with a tea towel or spatula can turn things straight off/on.

I have a Bosch 90cm version, think the wifi versions will put the hood on when the hob is started up.

For the gripes, can't knock the speed.

We're having one in our new kitchen (wife's choice, influenced by her brother who has one). When we stayed at his house I had 2 issues - firstly, when trying to fry an egg it switched off every time I lifted the pan to baste it - maybe my technique! Secondly, on his version (can't remember which make), I found cycling through 18 different temperature settings seriously annoying (bit like my TV remote control volume goes from 1-100 when I just need 1-10).

They are a dream to keep clean compared with gas though.

Sponsored Links
We have a Range Master, the wife loves it, instant heat, easy clean but you will have to buy all new pans.

And yes, as soon as you lift off the hob, it turns off.

Andy

Just spoke to a Neff tech and they say you get a bit of time to put it back down so maybe they’ve changed things lately?

IMG_6334.jpeg

After a few pints the other night... I got home, she what scowls at me had left a casserole in a pyrex dish. I set the induction hob to 8. After a while, it beeped and turned off. I repeated the process and, yup same result.

I then remembered that it is an induction hob. So I ate the casserole cold...

I must admit that I love the fact that the single sheet of glass is so easy to keep clean.

Are you getting a new oven as well?

I did some work for an old client of mine quite recently and he had just bought a Samsung oven, it was a fan oven, microwave, air fryer and steam oven all in one……I was quite impressed.

Are you getting a new oven as well?
Yeah. We're getting two - a single slide and hide oven with a separate combination microwave/oven/grill/air fryer above. I can make do without the steam!

Check your supply cable is capable of handling the electrical load......our 5 hob induction needed a 10mm cable which wasn’t a problem because the kitchen was completely redone.
Ours is a Caple (I think, MKM supplied) and we also have a Bosch at the weekender. The Bosch is simpler to use but we’d never go back.
John

Check your supply cable is capable of handling the electrical load......our 5 hob induction needed a 10mm cable which wasn’t a problem because the kitchen was completely redone.
Ours is a Caple (I think, MKM supplied) and we also have a Bosch at the weekender. The Bosch is simpler to use but we’d never go back.
John
Pretty sure we have a 10mm cable going to the cooker (which is being removed) and the gas hob (above the cooker) is where the induction hob will be fitted so we can use that feed. The two ovens are being fitted in a different position and can be tapped into the kitchen ring circuit with a couple of 20amp double pole switched outlets.

‘Er indoors decided to have twin ovens, the type where the door slides down out of the way......Neff I think they are.
Successful enough and the door comes off readily for cleaning. Goes back on too!
That’s my job, and I’ve found a cleaning kit called Oven Pride......basically a heavy duty polythene bag and a large sachet of caustic soda.
Hoy all of the racks and trays in, seal the bag, rotate it from time to time and go and do something more worthwhile like polishing the inside of your alloy wheels.
Life saver, and many brownie points!
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back