Induction hob failing with a loud bang.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thought I’d share a recent project with you lovely people.
A while back, a Tefal induction hob (single plate), we bought failed with a loud bang. My first reaction was it didn’t cost a huge amount so bin it. Then my recycle side stepped in and I decided to investigate my it had failed.
If you have heard of similar hob failures you are not alone, they seem to be quite common.
The first component I found to have failed was a 12.5A fuse enclosed in heat shrink that had shattered. I presume due generated back EMF.
The next was a bridge rectifier gone short circuit. Replacements obtained I refitted and applied power.
All the lights came on when I pressed on, job done I thought so pressed power button…..BANG.
I then found I had failed to look further and the IGBT (insulated gate bipolar transistor) was also short circuit so more components ordered.
Having repeated the first replacements and the IGBT, I reapplied the power, and this time when I pressed power it worked.
I don’t encourage anyone to follow me, as I have a background in electronics, so know what to expect when examining a circuit. But this seems to be a common failure in these plug in hobs.
Incidentally the IGBT I ordered was not supplied, but a higher rated one was, so I suspect this has been a problem for a while.
I hope this will help someone. Just because it’s broke, doesn’t mean it should end up in landfill.

Sponsored Links
Interesting - it does seem the components are not too easy to obtain, mainly China for the IGBT - I've a couple of these I'm awaiting parts for.
It does seem the root cause, is the IGBT shorting out, taking with it any other components before it.
I wonder if the real root cause, is overheating of the electronics? Due perhaps in the Kitchen environment, there will be plenty of heat coming from ovens etc. I know Induction hobs all use a cooling fan, but if it is pulling in hot air - the cooling, will be reduced.

IMOP combination of poor design and fake parts. Beware where you buy your replacements from, not the like of Ali-Express or some of the more dubious Fleabay suppliers I hope :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back