Industrial strength L brackets!

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Do they exist?

I'm building a desk made of a solid oak kitchen worktop, about 2 meters in length and the standard 60cm deep.

How can I fit this to a wall? Are there L brackets bit and strong enough to support a solid oak worktop?

I'm trying to make the desk look as 'floating' as possible, so I want true L brackets, not the ones that look like a triangle if that makes any sense.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Floating shelves normally depend on having steel rods embedded into the wall and running well into the core of the shelf. They are also thick enough to allow this. I just can't see how you're going to get flat strips of steel to support something this size and weight without compromising somewhere because a 600mm wide shelf will potentially impose a huge load onto any bars you use to hold it or the masonry that's embedded into (try to think back to when you learned about fulcrums and levers in physics at school). I've fixed steel A-frames into walls to hold stuff like transformers, but an L-bracket will just flex, no matter how big a section metal you use.....

Sponsored Links
Hardly invisible, though, are they? I think you'll also find that seats aren't often 600mm deep

Hardly invisible, though, are they? I think you'll also find that seats aren't often 600mm deep
Sour grapes?

At the OP I'd guess you could get something similar knocked up by a small metal works if you supply them with a rough drawing, Knowing Hafele prices may well be cheaper too. All assuming the wall will be up to it of course.

The OP never said invisible she wanted L brackets without the triangular support which for all intensive purposes the ones she linked to are. You'd have to bend over to see the brackets as they hit the wall :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back