Inexplicably cold bedroom

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I live in a modern house (2 years old), lots of attic and wall insulation, PVC double glazing etc. I recently had the central heating fixed and the house is now toasty except for the "baby" room, it appear to still be inexplicably cold.

I have checked the attic insulation above the room and its fine.
I have checked the radiator and its fine.
I can't hear or feel any draft at the window, but am unsure about it

Can anyone give me some advice on how to track the likely the source of the heat loss.

Thanks

Ray Kinsella

Sponsored Links
except for the "baby" room, it appear to still be inexplicably cold.

:eek:

Edit: On a serious (hopefully) note are you sure the room is actually any colder than the rest of the house? Have you measured the temperature (Oc) in the "baby room"? How is the heating set - thermostats? Could the rad in this room be undersized?

Er, I don't think the radiator is undersized, the room is about the same size as the study, the radiators are roughtly the same size in both rooms, but the study is noticeably warmer. There is no thermostat in the room yet (am working on this), but will check the room temperature and start to try to quanitify the problem.

Sponsored Links
No TRVs yet, getting them installed next month.
Cold walls, oddly enough, my dad pointed this out yesterday also, its the only room in the house that boundaries two external walls. All other rooms boundary only one external wall. Could this be the source of the problem?

we had one of those, turned out to be draughts under the floor coming in where the joists come through the cavity wall. Can you feel a draught between the skirting board and the floor? It can be hard to feel because it gets diffused by the carpet. If you have this, the best way to fix it is to stop it where it comes in, which means taking up part of the floor. An easier but less effective fix is to seal the skirting board to the floor with mastic.
HTH,
Bri.

No TRVs yet, getting them installed next month.
Cold walls, oddly enough, my dad pointed this out yesterday also, its the only room in the house that boundaries two external walls. All other rooms boundary only one external wall. Could this be the source of the problem?
Very likely ...maybe the builder just used a job lot of rads, allegedly ;) Sadly I have been required to fit similar in the distant past :oops:

Hi all,

I went around measuring the room with my cheapo digital laser thermometer, the room is significantly colder than the rest of the house. The cold bedroom is about 14-15 degrees, the rest of the house is 17-21 degrees.

I think the window isn't sealed/installed properly, have a look at the photos below, the crack in the corner of the window dips as low as 8 degrees and I think I can feel a breeze there? Can I seal this somehow? From the inside/outside?

Regards

Ray Kinsella

You'll always feel a movement of air if you put your hand near to a window. It's just the warm air inside coming into contact with the cold glass and convecting.
Well it's usually that, windows should be installed tightly, with expanding foam filling any gaps.

Is the window in the baby's room proportionally larger than those in the rest of the house - i.e. glass/floor area?

Hi noseall,

No it isn't, its the smallest room is the house actually. I held some candles up to the window to see if I could detect a breeze but the results where inconclusive. I have spent some time trying to locate a cold spot with my digital thermometer but that was also inconclusive :(

Hope to get a glazier to have a look at the Window.

Regards

Ray Kinsella

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back