Infill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a structural engineers report done for a property that my mother in law is buying. Haven't seen the report yet but have spoke to him about some cracking on interior walls. He says that it might be caused by the "infill". He suggested getting a test done to check.

So, two questions really

1, What does he mean by "infill"?

2, Anyone know what's involved with the test? and should my in-laws be concerned.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Haven`t got a clue but then I`m not a Structural engineer and I`m not paid to type on this forum...I just do it for fun ;) :LOL:

Without seeing the report, maybe hes sugesting the cavity wall insulation.. but cant see how that would cause cracking unless you have alot of moisture in the property

Sponsored Links
Best thing would be to ask the surveyor what he thinks he meant.

I agree with Static, some of the foaming plastic cavity insulations, applied through holes after the house is built, can expand as they set, but I wouldn't expect them to crack the walls. Fireglass fluff doesn't expand, and I don't think the old polystyrene beads would either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back