Info on pillar drill set up needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just bought a used Excel D16 12speed pillar drill without a user manual. It has double belt drive, never had one of these before, the belts are off at the moment as the drill was dissembled for me to transport. Any advice will be appreciated, I have contacted the dealers but no reply as yet.
TIA.

Sponsored Links
I think this is a single phase, 16mm capacity chuck model......
Twin belts to provide the huge torque on the lowest speed. The belts are adjusted by moving the motor forward or back, and the rack on the side of the pillar tends to work loose.
Keep the motor pulleys tight!
It has a standard Jacobs chuck, No.2 morse taper. You can release the chuck by using a wedged drift on the chuck arbor.
Some models had a kick stop on the lower stand. Thats all I can remember about this machine.....
A good bit of ex schools kit - which is how I remember them!
John :)

I think this is a single phase, 16mm capacity chuck model......
Twin belts to provide the huge torque on the lowest speed. The belts are adjusted by moving the motor forward or back, and the rack on the side of the pillar tends to work loose.
Keep the motor pulleys tight!
It has a standard Jacobs chuck, No.2 morse taper. You can release the chuck by using a wedged drift on the chuck arbor.
Some models had a kick stop on the lower stand. Thats all I can remember about this machine.....
A good bit of ex schools kit - which is how I remember them!

Thanks for that, I really just need to know how to set up the belts.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
With the belts in place, place a lever between the motor and the drill head and move the motor out....tension the belts until you can move them about 1" in and out with firm hand pressure. Lock up the bolts and the adjustment is set. Its not too critical, as the belt attack angle on the pulleys ensures they don't slip anyway. If you do need to renew them, do so in pairs. A transmission component firm called Erik keeps them in stock - there may be a branch near you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back