Shed Base on Bitmac Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short I've been given a 7x7.5 ft Keter shed. I've been planing on a 6ft wide shed since I moved in as this is all that will fit in the area I've prepped. The heaviest thing that will be stored in it is a Karcher Lawnmower.

Alongside the house I've got a 3 car long bitmac drive, only 2 cars and so am considering constructing a base of some sort on the bitmac. The issue is that it falls 100mm over the 2.2 to 2.4m I checked.

In typical fashion I'm over thinking this though I've have never seen it done and it seems a bit of a cowboy endeavour but I don't mind a bit rough and ready as I plan to fence off that segment of the drive.

I don't want to take up the bitmac just yet but don't mind boring into it as I can easily patch it if move the shed later.

The best I could come up with is:

At the deepest point of the drive 100mm

1. Fix some spare 100mm concrete blocks to the bitmac. Fixing method options:
a) Sand cement (will wash away wash away)
b) Diamond core or drill through blocks and bitmac into subbase and dowel rebar etc, postcrete or grout them together.
c) As b but with a bought 2.4 75mm concrete post

At the shallower points:
2 a) semi dry mix concrete poured in behind perhaps on top of blocks or post up to same level as high point of drive. Screeded level.
b) Sharp sand or quarry dust as above
c) cold lay tarmac from b&q (v expensive but not sure my merchant stocks it).

I'm hoping that the blocks or concrete post will retain the mix or sand preventing wash away and that I'll be able to set the shed directly on the semi dry/ sand without pavers. But am open to using concrete pavers also.

Any advice has anyone done something similar or even laid paving slabs on bitmac etc?

photos attached.

Attachments

• 20230430_155302.jpg
    20230430_155302.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Long story short I've been given a 7x7.5 ft Keter shed. I've been planing on a 6ft wide shed since I moved in as this is all that will fit in the area I've prepped. The heaviest thing that will be stored in it is a Karcher Lawnmower.

Alongside the house I've got a 3 car long bitmac drive, only 2 cars and so am considering constructing a base of some sort on the bitmac. The issue is that it falls 100mm over the 2.2 to 2.4m I checked.

In typical fashion I'm over thinking this though I've have never seen it done and it seems a bit of a cowboy endeavour but I don't mind a bit rough and ready as I plan to fence off that segment of the drive.

I don't want to take up the bitmac just yet but don't mind boring into it as I can easily patch it if move the shed later.

The best I could come up with is:

At the deepest point of the drive 100mm

1. Fix some spare 100mm concrete blocks to the bitmac. Fixing method options:
a) Sand cement (will wash away wash away)
b) Diamond core or drill through blocks and bitmac into subbase and dowel rebar etc, postcrete or grout them together.
c) As b but with a bought 2.4 75mm concrete post

At the shallower points:
2 a) semi dry mix concrete poured in behind perhaps on top of blocks or post up to same level as high point of drive. Screeded level.
b) Sharp sand or quarry dust as above
c) cold lay tarmac from b&q (v expensive but not sure my merchant stocks it).

I'm hoping that the blocks or concrete post will retain the mix or sand preventing wash away and that I'll be able to set the shed directly on the semi dry/ sand without pavers. But am open to using concrete pavers also.

Any advice has anyone done something similar or even laid paving slabs on bitmac etc?

photos attached.
What's actually wrong with having the shed out of kilter? As long as its not in twist, it will function ok. True and level means the door will work and no stresses though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back