Info on Reg's for CCTV and its line of sight/view? advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have been asked to install a cctv system on my sisters house and wondering how do i go about finding out the rules and regs for this.

where can i go to find out more as she has already got the cctv unit and bits n bobs needed

so i am simply fitting it for her, so any advice would be great as many years ago i heard that you can have cctv provided it was not viewing onto the pavement or anyone walking past, and the only viewed/recorded area is of one's driveway or own property.

so not sure how to do this as she has a bungalow and the unit will no doubt get passing cars and walkers due to the low camera view line.
But it is simply a deterrent from her car being damaged or worse in the future.

any help would be great as she wants me to install it asap

cheers guys n gals

Sponsored Links
Info from OfCom here. It says that "The Data Protection Act does not apply to individuals’ private or household purposes. So if you install a camera on your own home to protect it from burglary, the Act will not apply." so you should be OK.

It would stil be a good idea to try an position the cameras so as to minimise their view outside of the property boundary though - that's just being a decent chap. Having the cameras with a view into neighbours' gardens might well be considered a bit intrusive.

It's not the data protection act, that's something completely unrelated.

If you pointed your camera at your neighbours' houses, they could possibly take court action under article eight of the human rights act - the right to respect for his private life ie peaceful enjoyment of one's property.

I would imagine careful selection of camera angles and placement would avoid this though.

As for passers by, well anyone can film in a public place.

Hi there

cheers for the advice all so far

i am guessing that it would only be the front of the house on cctv view, and they are only next doors driveways and no garden area to speak of on both sides of her house.

so it will pick up maybe 30% of each nieghbour's corner parking/driveway area

Sponsored Links
Fit it where you like and look at what you like ----within sensible reason.
The Law doesn't prevent you. Your neighbours have to take action to stop you.

Any half decent kit will have 'masking', set this up on areas like neighbours windows etc.

That said, most people don't mind you having cctv looking onto their property, they usually consider it a nil cost way of added protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back