New CCTV equpitment advice

Hi, you will find outlets will only stock the 3.6mm wide angle variant.....
Rgds
Matt

Sponsored Links
Bli-me, cant get rid of me me.
But do you use cat 5 cable or shotgun cable.
As this is a domestic installation, I want to use cat 5 for reasons of colour, the diameter of the cable as a few runs will be running along together and I'd rather not use trucking. Also one of the runs is 25 m (or there abouts) could you advise as to wether or not the resistance of the cable would effect the picture quality. I could of course double up on the pairings to over come this, but would you used this or go for the shotgun cable. It just that the coax and power cables are so big and ugly in a domestic setting ( running down wallpapered walls etc.,)
If this were an electrcial install I could work out the volt drop over a run, but it isn't.
Any advice on this would be helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You won't have a problem with power on 25 m worst case double up power, never double up the video pair , you can get 250 m with good quality baluns.

Cool, 'Top Tip' .

About not doubling the video. I mean.
Do ou know Whats the cheapest quality baluns I could get? Any particular make? No problem if you don't
I know you get what you pay for, but I've seen 'em from a few quid to a tenner each.

Cheers

Personally if it were me I'd use shotgun cable all day long........CAT5 is preferable for runs of 70M - 250M and using non IR cams or running power locally ( seperately)...you need to use baluns for video. BUT for runs typically domestic I'd go with shotgun..much more reliable.

Nothing worng using baluns if you wish as long as you are using low current/ non ir cams.

yes using the samsung cams, cat5 will be perfect and capable to do the job effectively as they are 100mA current consumption..

Thanks sparkmarka for the ebay item no, nice and cheep too.
& Thanks E999 for the heads up to.

Thanks for looking, but here's plenty of this sort of this cheap chinese stuff on ebay. And I won't be blameing you as I wont be going any where near it! LOL

My limited advice from what I've learnt and much reading, is to go with Branded goods and Korean electronics. Good brands have a rep to protect.

My limited advice from what I've learnt and much reading, is to go with Branded goods and Korean electronics. Good brands have a rep to protect.

Cant beat a pelco dome if you want good quality (maybe a bit over budget though...

If you want branded, american dynamics do decent DVR's.

If the cat 5 proves problematic, I'll go the shootgun cable as you have advised - cheers mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back