Info required about faulty Honeywell V4073 valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year there were suggestions that a batch of Honeywell mid-pos valves were faulty and causing banging noises (see //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/grundfos-pump-speed-setting.297863/#2171365 ).

I had a new V4073A fitted in July 2010 and since then have been plagued with random banging noises from the system. Attempts to located the cause have failed as the noise is so infrequent and lasts such a short time.

It usually consists of a couple of 'taps' in the pipe work followed by a larger tap and then one or two very loud 'thumps'. The whole sequence lasts about 10 seconds.

Does anybody have more info about the faulty Honeywell valves? What the exact fault is? Have Honeywell issued a recall notice? What serial numbers are involved?

Sponsored Links
Not sure regards the serial #s but after examining a few of these problematic valves it seems the 'rubber ball' bounces off it's seating (maybe a harder material) , also the ball returns to rest a tad faster than the 'norm' , have got away with it by stretching return spring (not good for a new valve :rolleyes: )

Interesting. I have the V4073, and have been getting banging noises from the pipework. Had put it down to expansion/movement in the pipes under bedroom floor. (Not got round to looking as need to move the furniture to get floorboards up and dont fancy emptying the wardrobe as other half has filled it....)

Makes me think as the pipework has been in situ without a problem for a number of years, valve is a more recent addition, (replacement for faulty Sunvic), and noises even more recent. :confused:

The way to check if it is a 'faulty' valve is run hot water only and then manually open the valve with a harsh 'flick' and let it return to rest (bang) , if you were to take the tension off the lever whilst the valve is returning to rest (hw on/heating going off) then it should shut with no noise/banging.

Sponsored Links
The way to check if it is a 'faulty' valve is run hot water only and then manually open the valve with a harsh 'flick' and let it return to rest (bang) , if you were to take the tension off the lever whilst the valve is returning to rest (hw on/heating going off) then it should shut with no noise/banging.
The noise has just occurred (15.40), but not so loud. Hot water is only on from 12.00 to 14.00 in the afternoons, so I am beginning to doubt if it is the valve causing the noise.

One of my rads keeps on getting a lot of air in it; I have to bleed it every two weeks. Could the noise be connected to this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back