inhibitor question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just had my combi heating system refilled by a plumber, I'm not sure if any inhibitor has been added ( he said it had but I don't think he did ). Is there any way of telling if any inhibitor is in my system. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Drain some system water out - about an inch or so in a cup will do, drop a few bright steel nails in it and see if they have rusted after a few days. Do a control with another inch of tap water in another cup at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Can you mix different makes of inhibitor if you don't know what's already in there?

Never seen any manufacturer say that your system would dissolve if you mixed different inhibitors. Ideally you would keep the same but a question to the plumber would remedy that. Really they should leave the container or at least complete, detach and stick on the label from it.

Never seen any manufacturer say that your system would dissolve if you mixed different inhibitors. Ideally you would keep the same but a question to the plumber would remedy that. Really they should leave the container or at least complete, detach and stick on the label from it.
@Madrab many years ago you got system inhibitor , think was from fernox, was called MB1 and MB2 I think, one for cast heat exchangers and the other for copper and aluminium, if you mixed the two it turned into a hard jelly, apart from that never heard of any modern inhibitors reacting with others, as you said best practice to always use the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back