Inline Extractor for two bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'd like to extract from two (side-by-side) bathrooms using a single in-line extractor.

A flexible duct would come from one bathroom and tee into the flexible duct from the second. This would then feed into an inline extractor which would push the products out through an installed external vent.

Ideally I'd like the inline extractor to operate from either one of the bathroom lights being used or from both. A realise that this might be extracting from an unused bathroom at times but I'm happy with that.

Can you please say if this is possible - and how the wiring has to be made.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot directly use the lighting switchlines as they would be backfeeding each other so that both bathroom lights would be ON. You will need an interposing relay.

Thanks for your prompt answer (although I've no idea what an interposing relay is). Is it then feasible to use two inline exctactors feeding into a tee so there is a single pipe to the vent? I'm worried that this solution might cause one extractor to blow into the other bathroom! Problem is that I only have one external vent.

Sponsored Links
if not comfortable with the relay, how about occupation sensors, cant see a problem linking 2 of those together

Hi,
I'd like to extract from two (side-by-side) bathrooms using a single in-line extractor.
Ideally I'd like the inline extractor to operate from either one of the bathroom lights being used or from both. A realise that this might be extracting from an unused bathroom at times but I'm happy with that.

You would need double-pole light switches in each room, one pole
switches the room light and the other pole switches the fan. This
stops the light in bathroom B coming on when someone switches on the
light in bathroom A. IE wired something like this
View media item 23309

You'd be MUCH better with two fans here buddy.

Much easier wiring, which as you can see is rapidly becoming complicated, and MUCH better extraction.
If you use a Y piece right before the wall vent (instead of just after the fans), there will be next to no "backdraft" in to the other bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back