Insects

I

imamartian

as annoying as they are, aren't they just engineering miracles? i've just seen one, looked a bit like a mini lancaster bomber, but with eyes printed on the ends of its wings... and with legs thinner than my hair and it could cling on to a window frame upside down, and fly..... is that not amazing.... we couldn't build anything like that could we?

Sponsored Links
you been here a short while a posted a lot... and in context that response is a bit short sighted...
So unless someone has some kind of timeserved longevity they haven't got a properly valid viewpoint.

we might want to fo many reasons.... medical, war..... space exploration... just advancing human engineering? many reasons really...
Tell me precisely the vaue of creating a fly. What illness are you going to treat? How many passengers will it carry? How many would we need to glue together to make a bridge (presumably this bridge wouldn't need any feet or support since the flies will bey flying and thus carry it?)

Sponsored Links
we might want to fo many reasons.... medical, war..... space exploration... just advancing human engineering? many reasons really...
In the same reasoning that man might be able to emulate a bird flying?
That, as we know, is impossible. I understand your thought process and do find it fascinating, the same as a spiders web. Brilliant engineering.

as annoying as they are, aren't they just engineering miracles? ... we couldn't build anything like that could we?

totally agree imamartian......we could never create anything as amazing.
cantaloup63.....yes, you are just sounding a little cantankerous :confused:

It's his age and still waiting for you to add him as friend. :LOL:

Tell me precisely the vaue of creating a fly. What illness are you going to treat? How many passengers will it carry? How many would we need to glue together to make a bridge (presumably this bridge wouldn't need any feet or support since the flies will bey flying and thus carry it?)

ok maybe not a fly.... but maybe a bee? might be crucial in our survival? or as a weapon against mosquitos?

how many passengers? you're thinking our scale.....how many to make a bridge? again our scale.... i was thinking a different market to that !

Just got back from the pub and am knackered. My attampts at humourous sarcasm are obviously coming out all wrong. :oops:
Manana ;)

Just got back from the pub and am knackered. My attampts at humourous sarcasm are obviously coming out all wrong. :oops:
Manana ;)
You can afford to go to the pub? You think that you attempted humour? :cool:

Susiejb said:
totally agree imamartian......we could never create anything as amazing.

Maybe not today but micro-machines are coming. Think about it. A mere half century ago, the computer I'm using now would have filled a very big room and cost several million pounds. A computer in every house? Only a visionary or a fruitcake would have made that prediction. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes and no to that one Space cat.....yes of course the world is changing .....everything is becoming micro this and that......our first mobile phone almost filled the car :eek:
What I think we are unable to achieve though is the creative beauty of nature.....I don't suppose everyone stops to look into a flower or as I/M says ....to actually study an insect, but if you do, their beauty is quite stunning.
What we also cannot do is breathe life into something...... I think that nature will always win on that one :)

engineering miracles........we couldn't build anything like that could we?

Maybe not at the moment mate, but we'll get there! Quoting from Monday's local paper, I see that:

"Scientists have created the world's smallest electric motor - made from a single molecule.The microscopic motor is one nanometre across, about 60,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair".

So there you go mate. Your observation wasn't so far of the mark after all!

Sponsored Links
Back