inserting 5m lengths of hollow soffit board into j trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm intending covering a ' porch' area of approx 5m x 0.8m with hollow soffit board fixed lengthways to suitably spaced battens on top of the existing cement board. Because of the soffit board length and it's flexibility I would appreciate any hints on how to insert the soffit board , firstly , into the j trim fixed at the wall and then followed by subsequent board's tongues groves fittings.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get somebody to help you as it is difficult doing it solo. I recently did my dormer off a ladder and it was a struggle to say the least, far easier with more hands.

Hi,:thanks for the reply.
I found that out yesterday. I'm looking for an intelligent octopus now!! I think I made the mistake of fixing the J trim too tightly to the batten which.folloeing the line of the rafter meant is wasn't exactly straight over the full length

Hi, I'm intending covering a ' porch' area of approx 5m x 0.8m with hollow soffit board fixed lengthways to suitably spaced battens on top of the existing cement board. Because of the soffit board length and it's flexibility I would appreciate any hints on how to insert the soffit board , firstly , into the j trim fixed at the wall and then followed by subsequent board's tongues groves fittings.
Many thanks in advance.
Hollow soffit is a budget item a should not be used as vertical cladding. It looks awful fitted lengthways.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it's better to loose fit the trim or fix it at one end and then add the subsequent fixings as you go along and fit the boards.

Fairy liquid, WD40 or PTFE spray helps.

Blocks of timber slightly wider than the board and about 100mm wide and with rounded or chamfered edges can be used as "dead man" wedges to widen the trim when sliding the board lengthways

Many thanks for your responses so I'll certainly give the timber wedges etc a try. I should clarify that I am using the hollow soffit board on a ' ceiling' area which is above a large window box that I have clad with shiplap cladding, mounted horizontally, hence the reason for the direction of the soffit board installation.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back